Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Storage

Storage 4 years 4 months ago #1645

• Ruslan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Nikon D7000 w/ 35mm 1.8 ... at least for now
  • Thank you received: 2
I am looking for a storage solution. I was thinking to go with a external hard dive something like 2-3 TB to serve as a storage and back up device. Is it a good idea to mix storage and back up in one device. I have been reading about the raid drives, is it worth it.

Thanks for the advice
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Storage 4 years 4 months ago #1648

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Good point.

I always try to do a tripple backup. So my photo files are local, thats for the quick use of it, i can transfer quicker from local then from a hard disc.

My Computer backs up to a Netgear Storage. Which has a RAID 5 configuration and 4 discs in it.

And the Netgear replicates with one same Netgear which is on an other location.

When the place burns down, the local NAS and local computer will not be saved.. so thats why the external backup solution.

And try to get a Storage solution with a network connection so you can transfer over the ethernet, and not over an USB cable so you can put the storage far away from your computer, maybe in a fire safe locker.

Good luck :)

Greetings,
Roy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ruslan
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Storage 4 years 4 months ago #1655

First thing you need to realize is you need more than one copy of your photos. Putting them on one external hard drive is not enough, you need at least two for a backup. I suggest using Retrospect Backup to duplicate your photos from one drive to another. More copies, more reliability and less chance of loss. RAIDs are fine for primary storage and access but not backups.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ruslan