Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2013 suggestions?

2013 suggestions? 3 years 11 months ago #2546

Let's start a thread about your suggestions for this forum and community site in 2013. I am dedicated to getting exponential growth in the new year. Please add your thoughts here! Thanks.
Last Edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Gregory Cazillo.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

2013 suggestions? 3 years 11 months ago #2548

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
What a great idea Greg! :)

My main reason for not visiting the site recently is simply that it has been really quiet. Too quiet We only have like 6 returning members and that is way too few to get any real and exciting activity. You must promote the forums more, that is essential, otherwise we are just a little backwater here in a tiny area of your site. I think that people don't visit the forums simply because they don't know about it. You post links to the website in your description box on Youtube videos, but not to the forums. I think you could also post an annotation at the beginning of each video to let people know. If the message isn't out there, the forums will eventually fail.

Also, I think that when one clicks on to the site, it is not immediately obvious that these forums actually exist. One has to hover over the box of "Cazillions Community" and then look for the forum. Even at that, the forums are not at the top, they are just hovering around the middle; one could easily miss them. They are simply too arduous to get to. I would personally put a dedicated "forum" button at the top where the "Community" button is.

Competitions: Well, this one has been going on for a while. I think we could do with some sort of competitions for our work, ie: on a particular topic of some kind like "Autumn" or flash or something. They don't need to be competitive and there doesn't need to be a prize either. They would be just for fun and members could discuss the entrants afterwards etc.

Perhaps you could select a photo every 3 weeks/month from the forums and make a video about it, talking about what you like or dislike. This could be done with other members too and is a good chance for people to see the aspects of a good photo or what makes a bad photo? You did a video a while back and it was a good video. Just an idea.

We could also have editing challenges, ie: I upload one of my raw files and people edit them and we see which is best. That could be fun. Again, just an idea. I am unsure whether people would be up for uploading their own Raw files though... :unsure:

Also, I think a section for general chit chat might be nice, we could get to know our other forum members better. This is a nice idea but may not be entirely necessary.

These are my ideas so far. Honestly, I think you have the right idea here but the forum is too unknown IMO. Try and promote it more and it will grow. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

2013 suggestions? 3 years 11 months ago #2551

• dalibor
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I agree, it needs to have that "something" as photographs call it :)
For example, two week photo challenge, subject "blue sky" for example... And winner chooses next weeks challenge.

Unfortunately, most of us are here for your (Greg's) personal opinion and thoughts, so it would really benefit if you would then participate, maybe you do not have to participate actually taking the challenge, but maybe give some sample photos, some guides, announce it on 30s youtube video, just something...
And stick to it for 3-4 months consistently, just announce and give some feedback or something, just to get people up and running.

Or, if this idea sucks, then whatever we/you come up with, you personally must give it a boost by supporting it. And then people will want to do something on their own on the community.

My 2 cents :)

2013 suggestions? 3 years 11 months ago #2555

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
I agree with that Conor Casey. Totally agree..

:)

2013 suggestions? 3 years 11 months ago #2601

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Thanks Roy! :side:

I have another idea. It might be an idea to have a section where we can discuss the work of other photographers? We could discuss their photos/portfolio and say why we like or dislike their work or whether you would buy their work? Might be a nice idea?

I am just thinking out load here and if the ideas are terrible, let me know. ;)

dalibor wrote:
Unfortunately, most of us are here for your (Greg's) personal opinion and thoughts, so it would really benefit if you would then participate, maybe you do not have to participate actually taking the challenge, but maybe give some sample photos, some guides, announce it on 30s youtube video, just something...

I disagree in part with your first statement that most of us are here for Greg's opinion. Whilst it is true that we are here for Greg's personal thoughts, which are very valuable I might add, I (and I am sure others too) am not solely here for that reason. This is supposed to be a community of photographers, regardless of their skill level and I am here to improve as a photographer and hopefully help others improve too, not just to hear what Greg thinks. I think this is an important point worth stressing.

Your second point though is on the money. I would like to see you, Greg, more actively involved in the forums. I am not criticizing you, I understand you are a full time pro who is very busy but sometimes, it can seem that you're distant. For example, it sometimes takes you a long time to respond to topics, like this one for example or the problems we have been having with the forums here:

cazillo.com/c/forum/5-website-bugs/2490-...t-top-of-forums.html.

As I said, we understand you are very busy and that being a pro photographer is your full-time job, that has to come first, but it would be great if you could check in just a bit more. If you are having trouble keeping it all going, perhaps you should appoint someone to look after the forum? :unsure:

As I said before, you have the right idea here with the forums, I think this forum really needs just a bit more attention and promotion to get it really moving!

"thatnikonguy" has set up a forum today:

thatnikonguy.com/community/index.php?p=/

I understand this may sound grossly competitive but this is the competition Greg! "thatnikonguy" is very popular on Youtube and will surely entice people to his forums, over here. We have to give people a reason to come here for a photography forum over him, otherwise this forum will remain little backwater and eventually fail! Have a look at it and see what you think. :)

If you I don't pop in tomorrow, I would like to wish everyone a very happy New Year! Hopefully some of the suggestions here will help so as together we can make Cazillo forums a success in 2013! Happy New Year! :)
Conor Casey
Flickr
Last Edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Conor Casey.

2013 suggestions? 3 years 11 months ago #2608

Thanks for taking the time to add your comments. The second half of 2012 has been a trying time for me personally as well as a very busy time professionally. I am dedicated to making 2013 a great year for this community.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Cruz

2013 suggestions? 3 years 10 months ago #2809

• Jose Cruz
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Are there any videos on "WORKFLOW"? :cheer:

2013 suggestions? 3 years 10 months ago #2829

• Ryan
  • Fresh Boarder
I think if the webpage went edge to edge horizontally, instead of having the borders, it would be more pleasing to the eye. I dont know if it is the same on everyone else's monitor, but im on a 15" laptop, and everything appears cramped when looking at the screen.

I also agree with Connor, and there should be a dedicated "forum" button on the main page. I feel people nowadays tend to be "more efficient" with their time, and less willing to hover over drop menu's to see what a site has to offer. If there were more dedicated buttons, i.e. "FORUM", it may lead to more members.

All of Connor's other ideas are things that would be fun on this site, but they would have to be unique to Cazillo.com, or else it would be too similar to someone else's site.

One thing I would not change, is your, "Greg's", interactions with all of us. When I joined and made my first topic in "Welcome mat", I was shocked to see that Greg thanked me for joining. I was not shocked in a bad way, but I was surprised that the person that was running the site, putting out all of this content, took his time to thank me. I think that keeping in touch with the followers of the site/forum, definitely makes a more appealing, and personable. For me, it shows that your interested in the people that you are reaching out too, not just hanging out in the background watching your site grow. With that comes the understanding that you cant reach out to everyone, but seeing a comment here and there on topics shows all of us you are interested in what we are saying/asking.

Keep up the great work. I look forward to see what you have in store for 2013, and I hope to grow as a photographer as result of what I learn here.

2013 suggestions? 3 years 10 months ago #2839

Ryan wrote:
I think if the webpage went edge to edge horizontally, instead of having the borders, it would be more pleasing to the eye. I dont know if it is the same on everyone else's monitor, but im on a 15" laptop, and everything appears cramped when looking at the screen.

I haven't decided if I want to do this or not, maybe ;)
Ryan wrote:
I also agree with Connor, and there should be a dedicated "forum" button on the main page. I feel people nowadays tend to be "more efficient" with their time, and less willing to hover over drop menu's to see what a site has to offer. If there were more dedicated buttons, i.e. "FORUM", it may lead to more members.

I actually took the suggestion and added the additional forum links to the top menu & the feed box under the frontpage slideshow box. I don't want to make the site too crowded.

2013 suggestions? 2 years 10 months ago #5568

• finntroll
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
hello there!

I don't know if this topic is already out of date (lets call it 2014 suggestions :lol: ), but I really loved the "RAW-Edit of the Week"-Videos you did back in Fro Days. I learned a LOT from you in those videos and it'd be fun to see some RAW-Edits in the future (you also talked a lot about histograms in those vids)

I know you might get overwhelmed by files sent in from your fans, but I'm pretty sure there would be a way around a potential storage issue.

Just a brief suggestion from me :cheer: I'm sure that would also catch some interest around the youtube community since RAW editing is getting pretty popular among beginner photographers, and I'm certain some tips and tricks in those videos would help many of us..

Thanks and greetings,

Finn

2013 suggestions? 2 years 10 months ago #5569

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
As far as RAW editing goes, there are videos all over the place on the net. Greg has done lots of videos, I just found this site about 6 months ago or so. and with all the videos he has done, it's probably hard for him to find something. But I would like to see more "how to" videos as well..on what, I don't know.

2013 suggestions? 2 years 10 months ago #5570

• Dwayne
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
May be Greg could do a break-down of how he shoots something?
Like a "teapot" or "Baseball glove" for instance. Greg could go into detail about:
Why it is lit a certain way.
Choice of Depth of field.
Which focal length was used.
Show a few examples of what happens to the image when one or more elements are changed such as the lighting set-up or lens choice.
And then any post processing that might be done to "enhance" an image.
  • Page: