Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What should I be shooting with my 50mm lens?

What should I be shooting with my 50mm lens? 3 years 8 months ago #3117

Hey Greg firstly I just wanted to say what an awesome job you do with your site and helping us all with your knowledge and advice.

This is my first post so I hope I am following the protocol!!

I managed to get my first DSLR around 4 months ago now and based on my budget I purchased a Nikon D7000 and a 50mm f1.8G prime lens. I am just starting out in photography other than years with a basic point and shoot but I am not sure if I have restricted what I can shoot getting this first lens. I did do a fair bit of research prior to purchase and based on my budget and advice got the 50mm prime as a good starting point to learn the basics. Could you give me some advice as to the kind of things I should and shouldn't be shooting with it. I know you have highlighted it is not a portrait lens but as it is all I have and all I can afford for now, your advice would be appreciated.

Kind regards Gary (Cambridge, England) :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What should I be shooting with my 50mm lens? 3 years 8 months ago #3120

• Erik Ballew
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
Shoot anything and everything with what you have. There are some guidelines out there, to help you along. But none are rules carved in stone. Don't let these stop you from shooting and learning.

Sure 50mm can distort a head shot, and sure there might be better lenses for the job. But it's not impossible to get a good head shot with this lens. The 50mm is great for 1/2 to full body shots, and a general walk around lens.

Learning and knowing your gear, you'll know what you can and can not use to your advantage.

Try not to get too tied up in the gear lust, it has far too many times put me in photographic paralysis, where I just pine over my lack of gear and stop shooting all together.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

What should I be shooting with my 50mm lens? 3 years 8 months ago #3121

Hi Erik

Firstly thank you for taking the time to respond to my post :)

What you have outlined is pretty much what I am doing. I have been fasinated in photography forever but foolishly it seems I have left it later on in life to take it more seriously - silly me!

Anyhow on with the future right!

Since having my D7000 it pretty much goes everywhere with me. It seems to have opened up a whole new world to me, even to the point of how I visualise everything in the eyes of getting that perfect shot (Crazy? I hope not!)

I am finding though that trying to capture certain things will mean having a few lenses which obviously will be suitable for varying situations. I love wildlife for example and clearly with a 50mm prime I cannot get anywhere near close enough to take some great shots. I haven't attempted much in the way of landscape photographs yet but is this too going to be something not really suited for my 50mm lens? The everyday shots I capture of my little girl and family tend to come out reasonably well but with a 50mm prime it does mean I am on the move all the time trying to get the composition right, which is a good thing it makes me think about every shot differently.

Once again thanks for your post and hope to make a few new friends on this great forum.

Another thimbs up to Greg
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Gary Freeman. Reason: spelling mistake

What should I be shooting with my 50mm lens? 3 years 8 months ago #3126

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Thanks for the question. Not to be a nag, but this topic is in completely the wrong category. It is in "suggestions"...again... Suggestions is for suggestions to do with improving the site, not suggestions for technique, advise, equipment etc. The definition of "suggestions":

"Have some feedback and input to share?
Don't be shy and drop us a note. We want to hear from you and strive to make our site better and more user friendly for our guests and members a like."

Can a mod move it please? :)
Conor Casey