Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: LF Camera friendly hiking bags

LF Camera friendly hiking bags 3 years 9 months ago #3350

• John
  • Fresh Boarder
I was wondering if anyone would have any suggestions for a good hiking bag that provides easy access to my camera (Canon Digital Rebel). I've been checking online as well as some local stores and so far I only find a good camera bag that is not so good for hiking or a good hiking bag that is not really good as a camera bag.

I really only need a holster type bag that can hold my camera with attached lens and maybe enough room to hold a spare zoom lens.

I'm going to keep researching but I'm curious to know what type of bag(s) other people use for hiking trips so please share.

Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

LF Camera friendly hiking bags 3 years 9 months ago #3351

• Mistery
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
List all the gear that you need to pack and I'll do my best. I mean the hiking gear as well. Another question for you, are you hiking for a few hours or like for a full weekend?
D800 w/grip, D700 w/grip,V1,14-24mm F/2.8, 24-70mm F/2.8, 70-200mm F/2.8, 200-400mm F/4, 105mm,F/2.8,35mm F/1.4,35mm F/1.8, 85mm F/1.4,1.7x Tele
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

LF Camera friendly hiking bags 3 years 9 months ago #3354

• John
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Keith,

For right now just a few hours, say 2 to 5 miles. I'm just getting started so I'm keeping it pretty simple until I get more experience. My long term goal is to get to a full weekend. I was looking to buy one decent bag now so I didn't have to buy another expensive one later on.

Here are some items off the top of my head:
First Aid Kit
Rain Poncho
Flash Light
Compass
Maps
Some food for a light lunch and some additional snacks like trail mix, energy bars or fruit.
a few bottles of water

My girlfriend and I went to Yellowstone last September and did some hiking. She gave me a lowepro flipside 300 as a gift and I was using that as my main bag. It was great for holding my equipment for the flight there, but it didn't have any room for additional hiking gear. I had to remove some items so I could fit snacks and sandwiches. It only has one pouch for a bottle of water and based on my experience there I'm going to need to bring more. I tend to gulp down a lot while hiking.

It doesn't have to be a single bag either (for both camera gear and hiking gear). I'm willing to try two separate bags that complement each other.

Thanks for responding.

LF Camera friendly hiking bags 3 years 9 months ago #3356

• Mistery
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Trust me when I say you want everything in one bag; it sure makes life a lot easier.

I'm not sure about your budget, but I would recommend the Lowepro Rover Pro AW 35L. This even has a two liter water reservoir so that you'll have plenty of water.

I've been using Lowepro for close to four years now and love their products; I now have five bags from them.

D800 w/grip, D700 w/grip,V1,14-24mm F/2.8, 24-70mm F/2.8, 70-200mm F/2.8, 200-400mm F/4, 105mm,F/2.8,35mm F/1.4,35mm F/1.8, 85mm F/1.4,1.7x Tele
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Mistery.
The following user(s) said Thank You: John

LF Camera friendly hiking bags 3 years 9 months ago #3357

• John
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you for the recommendation. This looks like it will take care of all my needs.

LF Camera friendly hiking bags 3 years 9 months ago #3358

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
That thing is awesome! :woohoo: I want one too!