Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Edges soft, light bleeding around the bottle.

Edges soft, light bleeding around the bottle. 3 years 7 months ago #3798

• Søren
  • Fresh Boarder
I’m shooting product photography of some wine bottles for my website.
I have positioned the bottle on seamless white paper (table and background).
Have a softbox for back light and an other softbox for main light, lightning the front and sides of the bottle.

No matter how I position the softboxes, and adjust the power of the strobes, the edges of the bottle continues bleeding out.

I have added to pictures. Last one with only back lighting.

Its frustration not to be able to get the edges nice and sharp.
Any ideas of what I’m doing wrong, or some good tips?

I have tried copying the setup Greg done: "How to Create a High Key Background". The product shooting video of the microphone.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Søren.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Edges soft, light bleeding around the bottle. 3 years 7 months ago #3799

What is your aperture? When I tried shooting in a light tent, I found that I needed a narrower aperture then I usually use to get every think sharp.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Edges soft, light bleeding around the bottle. 3 years 7 months ago #3800

• Søren
  • Fresh Boarder
I have tried different apertures. From 11 to 24.
Lower apertures wil make it difficult to control the light from the strobes, as it gets to powerful.
But I'll definitely try your advise. I'll have to add distance from the strobes to the wine bottle, to minimize the light.
How low in aperture did you go?

Edges soft, light bleeding around the bottle. 3 years 7 months ago #3801

Try adding some black cards on left/right of the bottle, what you are seeing is probably a reflection of the background coming through it.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, especially for only web photos, but if they HAVE to be PERFECT then I would lower your bg light, clip the bottle out with the clipping tool in photoshop and place it on a plain white bg of just the white sweep. You might have to add a drop shadow to the bottle but thats it. I've done it hundreds of times and it works...but again only if the client has the $$$ to pay for it and the photos need to be 100% as in for larger print applications. Post some tests when you get a chance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Søren

Edges soft, light bleeding around the bottle. 3 years 7 months ago #3802

• Søren
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the advise Greg. I have tried the black cards, as seen in your live video.
But I find it hard to place the, using both left and right soft box. The cards tend to block the light from the soft boxes to the bottle. If I move them further back (behind the bottle), I would guess they won't have the supposed affect.

I'm not going for 100% white. Clipping in photoshop would make the bottle "floating in space". Kind of like the vague shadows under the bottle.

Perhaps the idea, of not going for perfect is the right way to go.
My client is my own small online wine shop.
I'll try some tests with black cards and aperture, and post them.

Edges soft, light bleeding around the bottle. 3 years 7 months ago #3803

f 11 to 24 sounds good, I would having problems around f8 and had to go to f16 to get my whole subject in focus.

I am sure the other have some better advice.

Edges soft, light bleeding around the bottle. 3 years 7 months ago #3810

• beast
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
You might check out this video. It features Rob Grimm..an amazing product photographer. It gave me several ideas.

!
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by beast.