Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Possible item to touch on in Keep Shooting Monday

Possible item to touch on in Keep Shooting Monday 2 years 9 months ago #5679

• Andrew
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Greg,

First off, a thank you for all the great info. I've been watching for some time and always look forward to your vids and articles.

Photography for me is a hobby, but one I take seriously. I'm one of those that finds that bringing along the DSLR and associated kit all the time to be difficult. My other hobbies, ATVing and fly fishing, often present me with a fabulous opportunity for a great shot, but my camera isn't there. Bumps, mud, dirt, dust, vibration, water, etc are not the environment I want to put my DSLR through.

Also, on my last vacation south, I got some nice shots but found the DSLR to be a bother (on the beach, possible theft, trying to stop and change lenses, one extra bag to carry around, etc..)

Reader's digest version: For convenience, and to be able to incorporate photography into my other outdoor hobbies without destroying my DSLR, I started looking at advanced point and shoots. A bridge would be the best but still too bulky to tuck into the pocket of a fishing vest, etc.
I understand their limitations vs a DSLR, but I figure working with their limitations vs getting no shot at all because your DSLR and lenses are safely at home is a no brainer.

Plus, I've seen lots of articles where 'real' photographers are complimenting their big gear with advanced P&S's. I personally wanted something small enough to be able to tuck in a pocket and take the usual quick snaps, but also have enough meat to it to be able to take it out as my main camera for a day of serious hobby photography.

I settled on a Canon S110 for now, but may return it and go a different route. I still have full control with PSAM modes, can do bracketing, has a 'built-in' 2-stop ND filter for blurred water in brighter conditions, etc. As with any small camera, the wide range of DOF just isn't there, but that's the trade-off I suppose. I actually find the S110 fairly well laid out for access to the controls you commonly use when you're in any of the manual modes (once you play with a bit and get a feel for the controls).

Perhaps you could offer some ideas/suggestions for the non-DLSR shooters? Maybe hints on how to use the characteristics of an advanced P&S to our advantage....how to (if it's even possible) use the creative effects to create non-hokey looking images...that sort of thing.

Andrew
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Possible item to touch on in Keep Shooting Monday 2 years 9 months ago #5690

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
The DSLR techniques should apply to your non DSLR camera. It all boils down to aperture, shutter speed, ISO, flash, focal length. Concepts are the same.
As for creative modes, they aren't talked about because the better workflow is shoot raw, process on computer. I think everyone in this forum would agree.

Just my thoughts
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Brent Ross.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Possible item to touch on in Keep Shooting Monday 2 years 9 months ago #5696

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
I agree

Possible item to touch on in Keep Shooting Monday 2 years 9 months ago #5698

• Jose Cruz
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Can you do a review and go over the features and settings for the nikon d610.

Possible item to touch on in Keep Shooting Monday 2 years 9 months ago #5703

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
For classes based around a certain camera I use lynda.com

Here is course on the d600

www.lynda.com/Final-Cut-Pro-tutorials/Ni...103707/128951-4.html

This particular course is more focused on the d600 as a tool for video
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Brent Ross.

Possible item to touch on in Keep Shooting Monday 2 years 9 months ago #5704

• Jose Cruz
  • Expert Boarder
I've been meaning to try lynda.com,thanks Brent

Possible item to touch on in Keep Shooting Monday 2 years 9 months ago #5705

• Jose Cruz
  • Expert Boarder
Theft is big these days,do a video on protecting your equipment against thieves.

Possible item to touch on in Keep Shooting Monday 2 years 9 months ago #5709

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
i like that idea... took me 2 years to get the equipment i use. i couldnt imagine it being stolen, id die