Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Critiques very much desired!

Critiques very much desired! 4 years 7 months ago #1344

Hello everyone I'm a new photographer (started late last year) and I'm self taught. I would like some critiques and comments on some of my pictures :). I would greatly appreciate it.

P.S. non of my pictures are post processed, I leave it to my cameras internal engine to do the work (I know that compered to the computer processing it is not the best, but it's a challenge I've set myself as a photographer, and I am enjoying the results so far).

gumundur.jpg

IMG_3080ravimi.jpg

IMG_4106ravimi.jpg

IMG_4866ravimi.jpg

IMG_9182ravimi.jpg

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE REVIEWS!!
-I shoot with a Canon T3i with2 lenses: 50mm 1.8 ef and a Sigma 75-300mm that I got for free but mostly because it only shoots when it is fully extended and is in the 5.6f/stop (very limited but I've learned to work with it). I'm not really sure why it does that but I will be going to a photog shop soon to check it out.
-non of my pictures are cropped, I post them as I shoot them and lately I've started shooting in the setting that yields both JPG and RAW (I will be using the Canon processing system for the computer).
-Also, the reasons some of these lack detail is because they are only 15% of the actual file size and are in JPG instead of IMG but next time I post I'll make sure to post full results.
-I also do everything in manual (ISO, f/stop, focusing, white balance, etc.), since I'm a beginner I've limited myself and forced myself to learn as much as possible about my camera to actually know what I am going to be using.

PICTURE DETAILS:
1)GUDMUNDUR
f/5.6, 1/500sec., ISO 200 ( always stick to very low ISO. rarely I go above 400) 300mm (this is the only distance the lens can shoot at, and it always has to be in 5.6f/stop for it to function)
and this is a link to the picture at 100% size (unlike the one here that is only 15%) ravimi.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=0#/d4wx7u1
2)ARABESQUE
f/4.5, 1/32000sec., ISO 400, 50mm (which I think is more like an 85mm because of how the T3i's sensor crops it) and this was one of the pictures I took before I learned about controlling white balance, so it is in auto for this image.
In reality the image is MUCH more detailed ,and I can zoom in very close to the first birds face and see pretty good detail, but like I said I misjudged when posting the images and only did 15% of the actual image size.
this is the actual size ravimi.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=24#/d42azee
3)ROYAL DESIGN
f/3.2, 1/800sec. ISO 100, 50mm
I had LOT of trouble taking this picture because since I only had the 50mm (and with the T3I cropped sensor it's more like an 85mm(I think it was)) I couldn't muster much more of the bird, this was the best I could have done at the time.
4)GROWING BEAUTIFULLY
f/5.6, 1/500sec., ISO 400, 300mm
this one was also very troublesome, it was located on my neighbors side of the fence and I had to balance on top of a small brick (big enough for only one foot) to actually have a clear shot at the flower behind the fence while I was zoomed in at 300mm! (It was a lot of fun, but hard haha.) Also the lens doesn't usually seem to perform nicely with Bokeh and that is mainly why it seems kind of muddy in the background)
5)f/2.8, 1/2500, ISO 100, 50mm This one was difficult to capture also because I was on a dock floating on a lake and the space was limited, and since the 50mm is sensor cropped by the T3I, I had to lay on the floor sideways to actually get far enough from the subject.
Oh! and the name of the picture is "Call for Omega", so that might help with understanding the context. (if not let me know and I'll try to clarify it further )

THANK YOU! again for the comments so far, I will make sure that in the future I post the real file sizes so it can be better observed .
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Ravimi Photography.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Critiques very much desired! 4 years 7 months ago #1346

• Pat Belisle
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
It would be great to have more infos like iso, shutter speed and aperture...

I don't get the ''no post process'' thing because I really think that it is what your pictures are lacking. Why would you limit yourself when you can get the best out of your shots?

1. Nice
2. More contrast would help (If you don't post process, you mean that you shot that black and white?)
3. Nice sharpness, amazing framing but again, vibrance in post process would improve so much.
4. I'm not a flower guy...but nice...
5. I don't get the context...but I think more depth of fiel would be better since we don't see the face, there is more attention drawn to the hands wich are out of focus. Also, it is sad that the elbow is touching on the right of the frame.

Again, I think you did a good job shooting, now get the best out of your shots, they deserve it...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ravimi Photography
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Critiques very much desired! 4 years 7 months ago #1349

So far they look good. One issue I see is in the bird photo (and many newbies) is underexposure. Be sure you know how to expose properly and use the exposure histogram. Some of the photos seem heavily cropped...be careful with this and choose the right lens instead.

Re: Critiques very much desired! 4 years 7 months ago #1350

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Hi there,

Great to see you are getting into photography. :) I would like to see the settings at which you shot these photos - ISO, Aperture, Shutter speed etc.

I also must disagree with your decision not to process your photos in post. You see, our eyes adjust naturally to light and brightness differences in a scene. Our cameras do not have the same dynamic range of our eyes. Cameras have about 7 stops of dynamic range vs 16 stops of our eyes. I always argue that at least some post processing work on a computer is necessary to bring a photo to life, particularly if you are shooting Raw (which you should).

Anyway, the photos:

1. A nice scene, good colour, like the reds. Doesn't look all that sharp to me though, particularly at the bottom. I suspect this may be due to cropping? A little noisy too, I'd really like to see the Iso here. Otherwise, I like it.

2. Under-exposed. Your camera has exposed for the sky here, not the birds as it should have been. As a result, you have lost quite a lot of detail in the bird's wings and face. Also, you must have shot in black and white in camera as opposed to converting later. I don't recommend this as your camera will instantly discard all colour info. If it turns out that it would be a great colour photo, sorry, black and white is all you have. That is why it is always best to shoot in colour and convert later. You also get much better scope in post for richer and deeper black and white shots.

3. Your best shot, I think. I really like the composition, maybe a little more beak? But it is great the way it is. Colour is nice. Remember to keep focus on the eyes, they are the important parts. You've done that well here. :)

4. Is it cropped? Focus is good on the flower. I don't personally like the grey colour surrounding the flower though. I think is is too muddy and featureless. It doesn't really do anything for the photo.

5. Like the composition. It might make a good stock photo. One thing to note is to watch your aperture. I can guess by looking at this that you likely shot this at a wide aperture (maybe f/5.6?). Anyway, this is too wide an aperture for a photo like this, as it has rendered the subjects two hands out of focus. This is undesirable for a photo like this. I'd recommend re-shooting this with a stopped down aperture, of maybe f/11 or f/16 to render everything in focus.

Hope this has helped. Remember to keep shooting. I also recommend you try your hand at editing. What camera did you shoot with? If you can, shoot Raw. it gives you the best scope for editing.

If you listen to the great Henri Cartier-Bresson:

“ Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst."

Keep shooting,
Good luck. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr

Re: Critiques very much desired! 4 years 7 months ago #1352

Pat Belisle wrote:
5. I don't get the context...but I think more depth of fiel would be better since we don't see the face, there is more attention drawn to the hands wich are out of focus. Also, it is sad that the elbow is touching on the right of the frame.

Thank you for the critique :)! If you click on picture #5 you will see a better representation of the actual image (it shows the elbow not touching the frame (very close to it though lol) but thanks again for the comment :)

Re: Critiques very much desired! 4 years 7 months ago #1353

I added the information for the images right below the pictures. Thank you for the comment! I hope the extra information I posted helps.

Re: Critiques very much desired! 4 years 7 months ago #1356

• Conor Casey
Thanks, settings really help.

Good luck with the 600d. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr

Re: Critiques very much desired! 4 years 7 months ago #1357

• Conor Casey
By the way, I recommend you definitely try out Raw shooting and post-processing. I think it will drastically improve your photos. It certainly did for me. If you need a free program for editing, I recommend Gimp:

www.gimp.org/

It is like a free photoshop.

Also, try Raw Therapee which is like a free version of LR, though not nearly as advanced:

rawtherapee.com/
Conor Casey
Flickr

Re: Critiques very much desired! 4 years 7 months ago #1358

Thanks :), I downloaded Gimp yesterday actually lol, but for some reason when I try to open the RAW pictures it shows up as a Black image and I don't really know what to do, but when I get back home from college (tomorrow) I'll use the canons own software and see if it works much easier.

Re: Critiques very much desired! 4 years 5 months ago #1529

I made a new topic for Blog reviews. If you would like your blog reviewed follow this link cazillo.com/c/forum/30-newbie-photograph...s-of-blogs.html#1528