Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Newbie Photographer Looking for critiques!

Newbie Photographer Looking for critiques! 4 years 7 months ago #1407

• Rosa
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm a newbie and I need advice/critique on some of my pictures. All of the pictures were taken using a strobe with combination of window light.

First picture: In this image I wanted to create a high key feeling. I have enhanced the eyes a bit making them lighter and sharpen the hair a bit. Are the eyes too light and unrealistic? Is the composition right?

Second picture: Do you think the shadows in this picture complement the subject? How's my Composition?

Third picture: Again, are the eyes too enhanced? I've lighten the eyes and sharpen them. Is composition right?

Dying for critiques!!!

Thank you and feel free to be brutal!

Also, taking this three pictures into consideration... Do you think this pictures are portfolio worthy and do you think I'm ready to market myself as a photographer?

Here is the link to the pictures....

picasaweb.google.com/1166292270380038302...DwZA&feat=directlink

Thanks in advance!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Newbie Photographer Looking for critiques! 4 years 7 months ago #1408

• Clair
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi Rosa..

i'm certainly no expert, but i'm happy to give my opinions..hope they help :)

Pic 1: This is my favourite of the 3, beautiful girl & the eyes look brilliant! - If I had to find fault, I would say the sheet cutting off her cheek is a little irritating & I really dislike her nail polish.

Pic 2: This is ok, looks a bit like a 'regular snapshot', nothing amazing.. & the sheet being just half over her looks weird??!! (sorry)

Pic 3: Very nice! The colour works really well & her eyes look great again. The elbow being chopped off is a tiny bit irritating, personally i'd crop in a bit tighter so the elbow isn't so obvious.

A really nice set..1 & 3 I would add to a portfolio, but 2 doesn't do it for me.

Clair
x
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosa
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Newbie Photographer Looking for critiques! 4 years 7 months ago #1411

• Rosa
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you Clair!

I really appreciate your very helpful input.

I did not remove the nail polish in post because I think it tells the viewer a little bit about her personality. (But I see what you mean)

I should have specified why she has that fabric around her head. She wore it like that because she has very short hair and she was pretending that the fabric was her long hair.

Thank you again for your critique!

More critiques are welcome!

Re: Newbie Photographer Looking for critiques! 4 years 7 months ago #1412

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Hi there and welcome to the forums Rosa. :)

Like Clair, I too am not an expert but I'll do my best.

First photo: Not a fan of the composition. The white background and the white headscarf do not go well together. The white scarf cuts across the right side of her face and blends in with the white background making it look like she is missing part of her face. It is all far too white for me too. The eyes and hair look fine to me and the pose in good as well. My least favourite image.

Second Photo: Composition is fine. The pose is sweet. The eyes are nicely highlighted, if a only little over highlighted. A nice black and white. I agree with Clair though that it does have a kind of "snapshot" feel to it.

Third photo: Your best photo and by some distance I think too. The colour is wonderful, a real rich blend of creams. It works really well here. I have no problems with the composition and would not crop in further. The pose is perfect. Her little smile is really sweet and I love the cardigan on her head. The eyes are nicely highlighted too. It is just a really nice photo. Well done. That is the one I'd choose for a portfolio.

Hope this helped. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Conor Casey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosa

Re: Newbie Photographer Looking for critiques! 4 years 7 months ago #1413

• Rosa
  • Fresh Boarder
Connor,

Thank you for your thorough critique! I really appreciate it!

Rosa