Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Raw or Jpeg??

Raw or Jpeg?? 4 years 5 months ago #1597

• Keith
  • Fresh Boarder
I was at my first Photography meet-up the other day (Western Mass) and was asking the Professional about if they shoot RAW or Jpeg? and They told me that they only Shoot Jpeg. Said it's time they don't have when shooting. Being new to The whole DSLR i have been watching many Youtube Videos. And the ones that i think have some credibility are all about shooting RAW.. so that is what i have been doing since i Purchased.. Is shooting Raw out of my League?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Raw or Jpeg?? 4 years 5 months ago #1598

Not at all. Anyone who says RAW takes too long is sadly mistaken. You have much more control in the final file and it takes more time to get a properly exposed jpeg vs the power of RAW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keith
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Raw or Jpeg?? 4 years 5 months ago #1606

• Christian Udarbe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Just go out and shoot
  • Thank you received: 12
RAW all the way.

Photography is more than just taking the shot and simply upload the photo. Certain tweaks can make a great shot even better. :side:

RAW gives you uncompressed data perfect for post processing.

A medical student;
A musician;
A photographer;
ITS ALL AN ART

Blogger
Facebook
Flickr
Twitter: @ChanUdarbe

Add me up!

Re: Raw or Jpeg?? 4 years 5 months ago #1608

• Andrew Olson
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I do shoot raw 99% of the time but there are a few times when jpeg can be useful. Yes shooting raw is great for processing and getting a great file, but if you just want to take some casual pics with out wanting to do a lot of processing, I say jpeg is fine. Or you could shoot raw+jpeg.

Oh and if you were watching videos about shooting raw by a guy with some funny hair just ignore his rants. Not trying to start a war, just saying many have left for various reasons, myself included.

Andy

Re: Raw or Jpeg?? 4 years 4 months ago #1627

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
I only shoot RAW + Jpeg so i can review the images quickly on the computer ;)

RAW it the filetype you want in case of editting.

Good luck!

Re: Raw or Jpeg?? 4 years 4 months ago #1798

I shoot RAW all the way !! I must say you have more option later in Process of course it takes mor space on your card or hard drive but form my poistion I must say I got better because I Shoot Raw. My wife is also in Photography and she shoots jpg and alway said that my pictures looking better and i think just because you can tweek those once better and I must say I didn't shoot Raw+JPG because it takes even more harddrive space and the once i would like in jpg I can easily convert them through Lightroom after i tweek them. That's my point.
Maik
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Maik Tondeur.