Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Wedding Photography With a D5100

Wedding Photography With a D5100 4 years 4 months ago #1646

• rouseman
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey every one

I could do with a bit of advice, i've gotten into photography about a year ago and I really love it a lot. Mostly i've shooting landscapes/seascapes, still life, flowers and people (but not enough). Some one has seen my photography and asked me to shoot there small wedding. I accepted the job, but due to my limited exp with shooting people I think I'm way over my head with this one. I have in my bag a Nikon D5100 with the 18-55mm, 50mm f1.8, 35mm f1.8 and the 18-200mm f3.5-5.6. I also have a Yongnuo YN-560 Speedlight. I know my gear is not pro and the very high ISO settings on the D5100 are very noticeable, I really want to do a great job for these people does any one have any advice ?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Wedding Photography With a D5100 4 years 4 months ago #1649

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Hi there!

Great you are busy with photography!

Well, a wedding is something i am not familiair with too. I have been asked, but i refuse to accept it. Because several reasons.

I have no experience with it, so that means i could make great shots, or screw it up. With the last thing, i don't want to ruin all the pictures of the people who have the day of their life and wanting me to capture it. So that why..

For you, you accepted it, now its your turn to read yourself in, go check out other peoples work on flickr, look to their settings, try your camera on someone with that settings and imagine its the groom or the bride... Get the best out of your gear.

On the day, it has to be good, you can't say! Yo! Can you put the rings back!? My flash did not went off...

Try to read yourself in, try to see what other people are doing with your type of camera, try to figure out what lens they are using. You should be able to see that in a couple of days after which you can start trying :)

Hope i could help you a little. Good luck with it. Your D5100 should be good for the job. Try to stick to 2 lenses...

I would like to see the results!!

Greets!
Roy
The following user(s) said Thank You: rouseman
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Wedding Photography With a D5100 4 years 4 months ago #1650

• rouseman
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for you reply Roy, I've been watching Gerg's youtube videos which have been a big help.I remember him mentioning having a backup body, lucky for me I know some one with the same model camera so I can have that to fall back on if I need it.

My other issue is posing people correctly

Re: Wedding Photography With a D5100 4 years 4 months ago #1651

• Roy van Ommen
Well, during the seremony the people won't pose. It is just happening and you have to capture the moment...

For the wedding pics outside, the only thing you can do is use your experience and use inspiration from other pictures.

It is not a problem to inspirate yourself with other pictures in your fase of Photography.

The most important thing about wedding photography is showing the love... Try not to shoot lower angle's for the double chin's and that kind of stuff, try to keep extra information and other people out of the photos.

Oh, i have one more tip. If you have someone in your neigbourhood who shoots wedding photography, try to talk to him, maybe he can give you some tips.

And the last tip. On the day of the wedding, be selfsure, be confident. Thats what people want, someone who makes images who knows what he is doing. That helps for when you are telling them how to stand etcetera.

Good luck on your journey. Do you have a flickr page or so?

Greetings,
Roy

(p.s. show your pictures if you have done them. I am very curious. Maybe if you need help we could make a screen cap of it etc.)

Re: Wedding Photography With a D5100 4 years 4 months ago #1656

Posing is going to be your main issue. Most likely you will be ok with exposures and candids but posed photos will be tough. I suggest studying tons and tons of wedding photos to get ideas. Weddings are not easy!

Re: Wedding Photography With a D5100 4 years 4 months ago #1672

• Roy van Ommen
If you need some extra gear on what you can rely on, you can also rent some gear if needed...

Think about some standard lenses, a good flash... etc..
(Allthough, normally you are not allowed to use flash during the ceremony inside...)
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Roy van Ommen.

Re: Wedding Photography With a D5100 4 years 4 months ago #1676

• rouseman
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the replies, :( sadly where I'm form renting is not an option, most guys usually have to travel to the USA to get there gear or have a family member/friend bring it in. Most people don't like to rent out or let you borrow there gear, but i'll still give it one more try.

I've been looking at wedding photos on flickr and 500px, I must admit some of these images are a bit overwhelming but i'm still getting some ideas for a few basic poses.

Would you guys suggest getting a grey card ? On many of the videos I've seen, getting the wedding dress white and the suits black with out loosing detail seems to be a major issue.

Re: Wedding Photography With a D5100 4 years 4 months ago #1677

• Roy van Ommen
Hi Rouseman,

Too bad you can't rent your stuff in your place.. in that case, work with the equipment you have. You should be able to get great shots out of it.

I can't tell you about the greycard because i personally don't use it yet, that is not my fase of photography right now. So i would suggest, if you don't miss it right now, than you don't need it.

Try to get things right in the camera, and after that you can post process the shots you have taken.

Greetings,
Roy

Re: Wedding Photography With a D5100 4 years 4 months ago #1680

rouseman wrote:
Would you guys suggest getting a grey card ? On many of the videos I've seen, getting the wedding dress white and the suits black with out loosing detail seems to be a major issue.

I don't use gray cards during weddings, only product photo shoots.