Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The Cazillo preset by Christian Lindblom

The Cazillo preset by Christian Lindblom 4 years 3 months ago #1910

This is my son. Quick set up with one light. SB-80DX with shoot through brolly, very close to subject camera left. Triggered with RF-603.
Nikon D3100
Lens Tamron 70-300mm anniversary edt

ISO 100
1/160
f/4

Edit in Lightroom, brought down exposure (to hot, my own fault, plus the preset is always a bit overexposed)
DSC_7497.jpg
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Christian Lindblom. Reason: Flickrlink not working
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: The Cazillo preset by Christian Lindblom 4 years 3 months ago #1911

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Hi there Christian! Welcome to the #Cazillions! Welcome to the forums.

Nice shot of your son :). In my eyes, on my screen its a little bit off focus.. a little soft. Try next time to add some clarity to get the edges a bit more strong.

Nice lighting though, nice try.

I am looking forward to see your progression. I am only wondering at what vocal length you were...

Greetings,
Roy
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: The Cazillo preset by Christian Lindblom 4 years 3 months ago #1915

Hello there Roy

Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate you taking time and commenting!! The image is tack sharp on the front eye, otherwise it would have ended up in the bin regardless. Sorry son. The softening is added yes, minus 10, as per Mr Cazillos preset. Is your view that portraits like this would benefit from some sharpening instead? I have only photographed for a bit over a year. Many things in this art are given stuff, some are down to taste. I kind of like just a sliiiiight softening. Good on the skin.

Thanks heaps again mate for commenting. I really need input as everything I have learned is from youtube and my own trial and errors. :cheer:

Oh the focal length, 85mm on my cropped sensor. Still searching for the perfect portrait focal length. Did some beautiful shots of my wife with my 35mm prime. People commented on the focal length being too low. Didn´t really grasp what they were on about. Now I do. What is your choice of focal length for portraits?

Thanks again mate! :silly:

I will continue posting on this forum. I am on www.flickr.com/ubernurse if you have time please comment and critique.

Have a nice day.

Re: The Cazillo preset by Christian Lindblom 4 years 3 months ago #1916

• Roy van Ommen
Hi Christian,

Its very very good you locked in on the eye :) Maybe a bigger F stop number the next time. In my studio work, i am almost always on F/8.0. Because that gives me bokeh on the background, but a tack sharp image on the face which is important in my opinion.

Again, its my opinion and it can be that other people think different.

About the portrait lens, its very personal. Yes, i think a 35 mm lens will be to short because you have to put your camera into the model his/her nose to get a "headshot". I oftend use the 24-70 F/2.8 and the 70-200 F/2.8 for my portraits. And most of the time the 70-200 F/2.8 is on my camera because i can do a couple of steps back and get the model comfortable.

Maybeee... you want to share your RAW file and we can edit it.. :) And share the changed settings with you.

I will add you on Flickr. My name is RVOFoto on Flickr (www.flickr.com/RVOFoto)

And yes, i like talking with other photographers, even though i am not a professional myself, i like to talk about things and every day i learn :)

Greetings,
Roy

Re: The Cazillo preset by Christian Lindblom 4 years 3 months ago #1917

• Roy van Ommen
Oh by the way, i have looked on your Flickr page. And i see that the image of your son is more sharp on Flickr.. So maybe you want to share from Flickr the next time so we can open the full image as full res.

Greetings,
Roy

Re: The Cazillo preset by Christian Lindblom 4 years 3 months ago #1918

Hello Roy

Thanks for adding me on Flickr.
A higher F stop could benefit the picture, and as I said, the flash came off a bit hard on 8th power. I did not have much time to set up the shot though...kid stayed in the same position for less than a minute.

I am surprised the pic look softer here than on Flickr. It is the exact same pic and resolution...ah well. I was not aware if this forum tolerates full res images or not.

Wow you have a bag full of dream lenses don´t you? I want all of them. Well the Nikon versions of them. The day I have that kind of lens army, I def would be doing some paid work!

Again thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated.

Chris

Will try to upload high res image...
DSC_7497_2012-08-11.jpg

Re: The Cazillo preset by Christian Lindblom 4 years 3 months ago #1919

• Roy van Ommen
Hi :)

You can share images from of your Flickr which are not harming Greg's site ;) If you put high ress images on his site, the site will become slower.

So if you upload it to Flickr. And open the image, hit share, copy the BB link and post it in the message form, the image will be posted and it can be opened at flickr..

And about my lenses, well, yeah.. its a sort of, how you call it, ladder or so..

Lenses:
Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L USM
Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L USM
Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L Mk II IS USM

Canon EF-S 18-135 f/3.5 - 5.6

Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 non OS
Sigma 18-200 f/3.5 - 6.3 OS

So, yeah.. thats wat is in my bag haha...

I must say, the Canon lenses are very, very good. But i use the Sigma 70-200 quite often. Don't know why.. :)

Greetings,
Roy

The Cazillo preset by Christian Lindblom 4 years 3 months ago #1929

I am not a fan of a standard like "f8 for studio work" as it can limit your creativity. Be sure to take your subject into account when choosing aperture.

Re: The Cazillo preset by Christian Lindblom 4 years 3 months ago #1938

Thanks for your comment there Greg! And thank you for all the help you are giving aspiring photographers like me. I almost wrote young aspiring photographers...Im 38. What is unique about you is your straight forward approach and enormous knowledge base.

I hear what you are saying. Create the photograph you are after, by adjust your equipment, lighting etc. accordingly. Eds face is tiny and narrow so a large aperture would work, just bring down the flashpower. Thanks for your video on shooting kids (!) really appreciated it.

I also like you Lightroom tutorials. Keep them coming please!

Question: Is your preset coming off a bit hot or is 1. my screen off my a couple of stops, or 2. My D3100 overexposing the images or 3. Im doing it wrong...

Thanks again

Chris