Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Still confused somewhat about Exposure

Still confused somewhat about Exposure 4 years 3 months ago #2181

• Carol Johnson
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Tonight I was trying to take pictures of the grandchildren. Outside it was sunset - aperture 5.6 and shutter 160 ISO 640. Trying to get the right exposure the pictures came out too dark. So I put in it P mode to check to see what the camera set it at. Camera said aperture 5.6 shutter speed 1/8 (impossible to handhold right?). Anyway if you have it as wide open as you can and the picture is still not light enough do you push up the ISO even higher? This granny is having a hard time getting it right.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Still confused somewhat about Exposure 4 years 3 months ago #2182

• Mistery
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
ISO is the only other way to let more light in unless you purchase a new lens with a bigger aperture. Depending on what camera you have you can shoot ISO 1600 all day and some even higher than that without any problem.
D800 w/grip, D700 w/grip,V1,14-24mm F/2.8, 24-70mm F/2.8, 70-200mm F/2.8, 200-400mm F/4, 105mm,F/2.8,35mm F/1.4,35mm F/1.8, 85mm F/1.4,1.7x Tele
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Still confused somewhat about Exposure 4 years 3 months ago #2183

• Paul Ciura
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Nikon D7000, Tokina 50-135 f/2.8
What Keith said. You need to increase the ISO to a higher setting, above 800 probably.
-Paul Ciura
www.paulciura.com
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Paul Ciura.

Re: Still confused somewhat about Exposure 4 years 3 months ago #2186

• Carol Johnson
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Do you end up having the change the settings for every shot? Can't you just put it on some settings and take many pictures? Also if you put the camera in P mode and see what the camera does then if you change it to A mode shouldn't a picture be properly exposed if you use the same settings?

Re: Still confused somewhat about Exposure 4 years 3 months ago #2187

• Mark Giblin
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
You have 3 elements ISO, f Stop and shutter speed

ISO is a reference to roll film speeds that came in 100,200,400,800 and 1600. If you were a sports photographer taking an action picture of something like a sports car, 1600 is your baby but if your taking a scenic shot, 200 or 400 is fine. Film speed references how quickly you want the picture or shot to be captured by the film or CCD

The f stop is likened to the iris of your eye, f8 is often seen as "normal" or f5.6 for lower light, the lower the f stop the more light that can enter your camera.

Shutter speed needs to be fairly slow for low light, the more light you have, the faster the shutter speed.

Using all these together allows you control over the photograph exposure. It is best to experiment with your camera to get an idea.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shutter_speed has a good example of different shutter speeds of the same shot of a waterfall to show how photographers get that water effect that is now done to death.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-number shows you the relative size of the f stop of a cameras apertures.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_value gives you an idea on ISO exposure values

Most important of all... PLAY with your camera, thats how you learn to take pictures and don't be put off by the image not coming out as you expected and be surprised by what you can achieve by changing the settings.
I like shooting things, sometimes I will use my camera...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregory Cazillo

Re: Still confused somewhat about Exposure 4 years 3 months ago #2192

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
Carol, check out the playlist put together by Greg. I think it should help answer some of your questions.

www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9103F0B33BA9DC53&feature=plcp

Go out and practice too, digital film is free :D. Experiment with the different settings and see how they change the images.

Re: Still confused somewhat about Exposure 4 years 3 months ago #2195

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
So, i think my co forum members did answer the question fair enough with some theoretical stuff ;)

I will give you a couple of tips which i do use.

If its getting more dark, try to pop up the flash. Even better is a external flash on your camera with which you can bounce.

Look at your lightmeter. Thats a pretty damn good indicator of how your image will look like (if you are not using flash).

If your images are getting too dark, faster the shutter speed. If you shutter speed gets under 1/60 sec, higher your ISO and if you can, try to get a higher F/stop so that a lower number.

Maybe its possible to get some ambient light from something. But bump up your ISO will do the job.

Hope your images will become better :)

Greetings,
Roy