Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Re: Historgram Help

Re: Historgram Help 4 years 2 months ago #2322

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply Greg. I just discovered your youtube videos and they are by far the best and most informative out there. I still have a question on this - and please forgive my ignorance. I realize it's simple but I'm not grasping something. When I'm in any mode - Manual, AP, TV, - can I control each setting individually? I realize I can set my ISO - no problem. But in one mode it seems like I can change aperature but the camera controls the shutter speed. In another way I can control shutter speed but then the camera adjusts the aperature. Is this right, or can I actually set the speed and F stop individually? I hope this question makes sense. I realize this is the most basic of photography 101. I appreciate your advice so very much, just love love love your videos!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Historgram Help 4 years 2 months ago #2325

• Carol Johnson
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Erin,
Manual is the only mode that you get to set the aperature and shutter speed. You must be shooting Canon - I shoot Nikon so not familiar with their initials. Nikon A (for Aperture) you set the aperture, camera sets the shutter speed. S (Shutter Speed) you set the shutter speed and camera sets the aperture. Hope that helps.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Historgram Help 4 years 2 months ago #2327

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Thanks Carol - I feel like an idiot. Yes, I have a Canon and finally figured it out. When I'm in Manual - there is a tiny Av button on the back with a plus / minus sign - I have to hold that while I turn the dial on the front and it changes my F-stop - then I can arrow over and it will change my shutter speed. The ISO has it's own button. So, after 2 years I finally figured it out. I am so thrilled to have found this website. Still a newbie here but learning my way around and can't wait to learn more tips and hopefully to share some of my photos soon! Thanks again Carol!

Re: Historgram Help 4 years 2 months ago #2346

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
Erin,

Certain settings have different functions,you have the basic setting and picture modes to the right and more advanced settings to the left. You'll need to read the manual to learn how to change each of the settings.

TV mode= Time Value(shutter speed) you can select iso and shutter speed and the camera will select the proper aperture for correct exposure.

AV mode= Aperture Value this works the same as TV mode only your selecting aperture and iso and the camera selects proper shutter speed.

manual is just that manual you select everything.

I hope this answers your questions and please feel free to ask away!