Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Help with Soccer photo please

Help with Soccer photo please 4 years 2 months ago #2329

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I have tried the last 3 soccer games to get some decent shots. In years past I have gotten great shots w/o even trying. Now that I'm learning about all my camera can do - I want to get better. I tried Manual, Tv and Av. It was sunny and the game was around noon - what settings would you suggest for next time?
I'm also going to photograph horses and kids riding later this week - since it's also in motion I figured I might need more pointers on settings for that as well.
Thanks in advance!
:)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Help with Soccer photo please 4 years 2 months ago #2333

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Hi there...

Well, with this kind of fast sports, you need a fast shutter speed to freeze the motion.

The settings of the shot will depend on what you want to create. When you shoot someone with a really high shutter speed, the person will be frozen and you will see no action, no movement, when you take a slight slower shutterspeed (and compensate with other settings like the aperture and ISO) you can get some movement in the image which make it feel more personal, like some flying dirt, or even the moving ball. I think it will be great to capture the person frozen, and a moving ball.

The settings wil depend on light conditions and that kind of stuff. Just keep in mind that you need a high shutter speed. I personally bump my ISO up to be guearanteed to have high shutter speeds and i can change the shutter speed.

I also use the TV mode on my camera sometimes to set the shutter speed and change that on the go. So i can decide what kind of motion i capture.

Well... hope i helped you somehow with this text in the length of a book ;)

Greetings, and show us some images of this ;) Maybe we can help you with that.

Roy
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Help with Soccer photo please 4 years 2 months ago #2343

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
yes, please post some of the shots so we can help decipher what went right and wrong :D. Please let us know what settings you were using as well.

Re: Help with Soccer photo please 4 years 1 month ago #2407

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Thanks for the tip. I do hope to post a few pictures soon so that I can figure out what I'm doing wrong! Thanks so much for your time!

Re: Help with Soccer photo please 4 years 1 month ago #2414

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Your welcome! Have already sorted out some images?

Re: Help with Soccer photo please 4 years 1 month ago #2418

• Gregory Cazillo
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 137
I shoot my sports in aperture priority so that the players or action I am photographing is isolated, rather than having focus on the whole field.