Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Which Lens Should i Use

Which Lens Should i Use 4 years 1 month ago #2363

• Paul Sykes
  • Junior Boarder
  • "Advice always welcome."
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi boys and girls .. i have a question which i would like some input on please .
The question is this , if your out and about lets say around town or in the country side which lens would you recommend as a good all rounder and why?.
I ask because i am wanting to get out more and i live on top of both the city and countryside and dont really want to be carrying around a £1000 in gear . Any advice would be a great help .
Regards
Paul
Im not saying im the best but im in the top 1
Last Edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Paul Sykes.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Which Lens Should i Use 4 years 1 month ago #2367

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Hi Paul,

If you are looking for an all round lens, I think you have a few good options whatever system you are using.

Personally, I use the kit lens that came with my D90 - my 18-105mm. I know that some people will turn their noses up and say "oh, a kit lens", but hear me out. First of all, I know it is not the best lens in the world. But, it is cheap, light and performs very well. It performs great in real world testing and any MTF curves (whether you agree with them or not) I have seen have been excellent given its price. Yes, the lens does suffer from chromatic aberration, but that can be fixed up in post production later. Also, I would ideally like a faster aperture than f3.5-5.6 but that is the price you have to pay. Overall, it is a lens I really like and would recommend. It's cheap, light, portable, performs very well and has a very useful focal range. Great for general shooting.

Other, more expensive options are the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 for about €600 or the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 for a similar price. However, with that, you sacrifice the focal range of my lens but do gain a faster lens.

Just my opinions really and others are of course entitled to disagree.

Hope this helped Paul. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Which Lens Should i Use 4 years 1 month ago #2368

• Paul Sykes
  • Junior Boarder
  • "Advice always welcome."
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi Conor , many thanks for the reply, i use my kit lens , the 18-55 3.5-5.6 a lot and like you say i think most people do turn their noses up at kit lenses . I have to work within my budget which to be fair is not the highest.
I do love to get out and about and would dearly love to spend hundreds if not thousand on a decent camera and the top lenses to go with it, which is what drove me to the question as there are dome many to choose from . Its just a shame that Nikon don't have a standard issue kit lens. something like the 18 - 105mm which would allow that bit more focal length . Many thanks for taking time to reply to my question . It has helped me quite a bit,
now im a little more happier using the cheaper kit lens.
All the best
Paul
Im not saying im the best but im in the top 1

Re: Which Lens Should i Use 4 years 1 month ago #2394

I don't know how the kit lens performs, but the big issue IMO is the variable aperture. If you are shooting quickly or just forget you can easily underexpose images when in manual mode. I feel camera kits should come with a 50 1.8 or a fixed f4 zoom. Variable aperture lenses are the worst for beginners and hobbyists.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Sykes

Re: Which Lens Should i Use 4 years 1 month ago #2399

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Yeah, I do agree with you Greg. As much as I like the 18-105mm and as good as it is, it is still kind of annoying that it is a variable aperture lens. The only other Nikon option we have is the very expensive 17-55 f/2.8 at over €1,000. And with that, we lose the focal length which is very useful. Personally, I think there is a market for an f/4 lens with a similar range to 18-105mm for crop sensor cameras, like the 24-120mm which shouldn't cost €1,000. Around €600 or €700 and I'd buy it no problem. The problem with the 18-120 is that is 24mm at the widest angle which, on a crop sensor camera is getting into the short tele-photo range.

Pretty much all camera manufacturers make good cameras for the entry-level and mid-range market and then bundle them with a cheaper lens to keep costs down. Pity. Sony does bundle the A77 with a very nice f/2.8 lens though.
Conor Casey
Flickr
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Sykes