Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: My first photo up for critique

My first photo up for critique 4 years 1 month ago #2409

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
IMG_4031 copy E72.jpg
ISO 200, F/6.3, 1/125
I have been taking pictures for years but am just now trying so hard to learn the proper settings. I feel when I get a decent shot then it's out of "luck." I'm the "friend with a camera" that everyone calls to take pictures. I don't think they are good enough and I want to learn the right settings. I have played and played with my settings and watched video after video but something is not clicking with me :(
Not sure best way to post photos - tried the attachments below where it says to add file but that didn't work. Trying another way...

www.flickr.com/photos/13835309@N00/
Last Edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Erin.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: My first photo up for critique 4 years 1 month ago #2410

• Carol Johnson
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Erin, I love your picture. I don't see anything wrong with it. Some might say that its a little light but I don't think so. Good job. Caroleen
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: My first photo up for critique 4 years 1 month ago #2413

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Hi Erin ! :)

Sure thing, a nice photograph.

You want a first critique, well i can give you that. Do not be mad on my words, because they are only ment to help you.

Even though, i like the light, its a little too much. Maybe if you set yout shutter speed a little faster, it would be a little better.

It looks like you recomposed your image after locking your autofocus in. Its a little out of focus. Try for the next time to get a steady position, place the camera firmly in your hands. Aim for you target, lock the focus on the eyes (The red dots in the viewfinder) if its locked in on the eyes, then click the shutter.

I like the bokeh in your image and i really think, that when you locked your focus better, the image would really pop!, the sun is giving a nice seperation of the subject in the background so you did that all well! :)

What program dit u use for post processing? There is some vignetting in it which is ok, but i am curious with what you editted this, because i cannot see any EXIF info on your image ;)

Greetings,
Roy

Re: My first photo up for critique 4 years 1 month ago #2416

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
Thank you very much Carol! And Roy - I just love your advice and I am not one to be upset - you are HELPING me....and I need those types of tips. When I click a pic, I immediately look at my histogram and if it's not a pretty mountain so to speak, or not to the right, or if it has clipping, I try to adjust my ISO, or my shutter speed, etc..and I try a few options in both directions, raising, lowering, etc. And I never get it right. So your tips are fabulous! Thank you SO much for taking the time to point this out. I am going to practice every day. Just tried some today at the pumpkin patch and out of 300 shots in 3 hours - I don't think I have one "good" one much less any that "pop" and I am getting so mad with myself for studying and watching videos for a long long time and still not "getting" it - so thank you again SO much for the tips! I greatly appreciate it!

Re: My first photo up for critique 4 years 1 month ago #2429

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
haha! don't get mad, it takes time and work to "get it"... I been shooting for years and never stop learning and I hope that I'm finally getting more "keepers" but there are days that I don't get as many good shots as I like still. I think that's part of the challenge I love, trying to get the ever elusive perfect shot.

Keep shooting
-Bill

Re: My first photo up for critique 4 years 1 month ago #2430

• Roy van Ommen
Yeah that true Bill,

I have faced another problem by studying myself. When i picked up my camera, i was full of own ideas. Then i found a guy with a lot of hair on Youtube and followed and watched all the videos..

Really, my inspiration was really high because i wanted, but i was trying so hard to get a perfect shot, that i couldnt manage to get it...

When i relaxed... and let the videos beside me for a while, i was able to do it my own way with back in my mind the information that people had given me..

So.. ;) Too much studying can be not good too...

Greetings,
Roy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Cruz

Re: My first photo up for critique 4 years 1 month ago #2438

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
Well, I appreciate knowing that others have felt the same way - I was actually about to start a new thread about my frustration. I am stuck on the histogram and if it's too far to the left, or has clipping on the right - I try to make adjustments - I'm pretty certain my ISO is okay but yet I'll change it - or I will change my shutter speed up or down, or I'll play with Fstop...I play with every feature in different directions - and still can't get my photos to POP. After taking pictures for everyone (for free) for ten years - and finally having some decent equipment - I would love to make some spare change taking candid kid birthday party pictures or senior portraits, etc. etc...but seems like the more I practice, the worse I get. I'm beyond frustrated, I really really am :(

Re: My first photo up for critique 4 years 3 weeks ago #2459

• Roy van Ommen
Hi Erin,

Lets talk about this... You know, how about this one.

Look for what you are photographing. Don't think a while about the ISO and the noise.

If you are shooting sports, decide what kind of shutter speed you need to use to get you your image. If you want to freeze the action, stay above the 1/500. If your light meter is not in the middle, try to adjust your aperture and iso setting to it.

If you want depth of field, first set your aperture and then set your shutter speed and iso.

Maybe this is a way to photograph for you. This is the way i do my photographing :)

Good luck and keep shooting!

Re: My first photo up for critique 4 years 2 weeks ago #2483

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks for the tips Roy. I think I am finally learning to up my shutter speed for sports. As for the light meter - sadly, I don't do anything with that...and that could be my biggest problem, huh? From what you are saying, if I want depth of field - to first set aperture and then shutter speed - would that be in a Manual mode setting? I love your tips - and I am sorry to say that I haven't been to this website in a few weeks. I am trying to dedicate a couple of hours a day now on my photography and studying. About to post another photo for more tips. Thank you so much for your help and time!! Erin

Re: My first photo up for critique 4 years 5 days ago #2495

• Roy van Ommen
Hi Erin,

Yes, when you are shooting certain objects or people where you need a certain depth of field in (seperation of the background) you have to decide which apperture you are using. Because when you set your shutterspeed, you have to compensate with your apperture. And thats something you dont want because when you want a certain depth of field, you need to first set your apperture, and then compensate with your shutted speed and ISO :)

Good luck!

Greetings,
Roy

Re: My first photo up for critique 4 years 5 days ago #2496

Your first step is learning the basics of exposure and how to read your light meter in the camera.

Re: My first photo up for critique 4 years 3 days ago #2501

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
I love your tip about setting my aperture and ISO until my light meter is in the middle! This should help me tremendously! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Page: