Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Sunrise today - what did I do wrong?

Sunrise today - what did I do wrong? 4 years 2 weeks ago #2484

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
The sky was so red and orange this morning, so I grabbed my camera (no tripod) - I tried all sorts of settings. This one had a high ISO of 3200. Shutter Speed 1/125 and F-stop - F/16. I had taken some other shots - about 3 dozen in all. As you know with the sunrise you don't have a lot of time and the light changes quickly. I think when I took this shot my front door was open and I had the foyer light on - (2 story foyer type of light behind me, yet I was standing outside) - I sort of like the colors and I like the shot - but when I went into photoshop to review the light / histogram, it made an adjustment and "corrected" the light. I prefer the original to the one with the adjusted photoshop light. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Even though I do like my original photo - I am curious why the photoshop made such a huge change. And to have gotten the best "pro" shot - what settings should I have relied on? Please know - my feelings are NOT hurt with constructive tips - that's what I'm looking for. Thanks!
Edit: Wanted to add that the sun really was orange that morning - it was a very unusual sky - so that also explains part of this color.

Original Shot: www.flickr.com/photos/13835309@N00/8198892297/

With Photoshop light adjusted:
www.flickr.com/photos/13835309@N00/8199984640/

LOL - when I go to look at those links now - I can barely see a difference.
Last Edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Erin.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Sykes

Re: Sunrise today - what did I do wrong? 4 years 2 weeks ago #2485

• Andrew Olson
  • Senior Boarder
I also like the original image as well, the second one photoshop did something weird to it. Probably tried to raise the exposure which caused the grain, and color fringing around the trees. But overall I really like the monochromatic (not monochrome :)) of all the oranges and reds, awesome!

Andy
Last Edit: 4 years 2 weeks ago by Andrew Olson.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erin
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Sunrise today - what did I do wrong? 4 years 2 weeks ago #2486

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks for taking the time to post Andy. I'm struggling really hard to learn how to change my settings and always looking for tips, opinions, and feedback. Thank you so much!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Cruz

Re: Sunrise today - what did I do wrong? 4 years 1 week ago #2489

• roy panaguiton
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
just wondering why are you shooting at ISO 3200? i have not shoot any sunrise photo but have done my share of sunset. although most of my sunset are in HDR. the first try i did was also non-HDR. there are a lot of tut vid in youtube about how to shoot and get the most out of your camera. maybe im one of the few that learned photography that way. university of youtube :)
i also found greg and jared there too. anyways good luck and keep shooting

Re: Sunrise today - what did I do wrong? 4 years 1 week ago #2490

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Roy! I was hoping you would pop into this thread! I was shooting with higher ISO because it was very very dark outside and anything lower didn't give me a shot and didn't capture the true reds and oranges of the sunset. I have watched many youtube videos and have seen almost all of Gregs. His are the best! But now I will have to find out what this HDR is - Thanks for your post!

Re: Sunrise today - what did I do wrong? 4 years 1 week ago #2491

Most of the time I prefer to underexpose my sunsets. With such an intense orange color you probably had some clipping which results in loss of color info. Did you shoot RAW?

Here is an image that I used underexposure to compose. You should be using your histogram in camera as you are shooting, not only after.

Sunset After Little League by Cazillo, on Flickr
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Cruz

Re: Sunrise today - what did I do wrong? 4 years 3 days ago #2492

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks Greg, yes there was clipping on the right and the left - and so help me - I hate clipping! I've watched your videos and I try to adjust my settings - and I've tried several dozen ways - playing with my settings by increasing or decreasing things - and for the life of me - I can not control my histogram. Do you have a youtube video with more detail about clipping - where it shows the clipping - the photo, the histogram - and then a few other photos of same shot with a few different settings as well as the ultimate setting that worked? The histogram has been painful for me to adjust. When my kids are in school I will go out and spend an hour taking a photo of the same object and try and try to play with my histogram - with not a lot of luck :(

Re: Sunrise today - what did I do wrong? 4 years 3 days ago #2493

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
P.S. - Great sunset shot Greg. I should be embarrassed to tip toe into these threads but I know I can learn a lot here! Thanks for all of your videos!

Re: Sunrise today - what did I do wrong? 3 years 11 months ago #2516

I am guessing you have watched my histogram video? Its more about knowing where your data is rather than worrying about clipping. Most of the time you don't want a flat spot on the right side of the histo, if you do then you need more light and to adjust your exposure. It seems to me you need more time with exposure rather than the histogram.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erin

Re: Sunrise today - what did I do wrong? 3 years 11 months ago #2522

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
Yes, I have watched that video (more than once.) My problem is - when I need more light - I change a few things gradually and I never seem to get it right. When I do - it's just luck. I don't know if it's more Fstop or shutter speed. I'm guessing it's more of an Fstop issue, but when I change that don't I compensate with the shutter speed as well? And of course ISO - but that's easier for me to figure out.

Re: Sunrise today - what did I do wrong? 3 years 11 months ago #2541

Hi,

it seems to me, that you are either in A, S or P mode.

In this modes the camera adjust the exposures automatically. If you are in the A mode (aperture priority) you specify the aperture and the camera adjusts the shutter speed appropriately. So nothing changes to the resulting overall exposure.

To change your exposure (and so the histogram) you should go to the M mode (manual).

If you have then an underexposed image (the graph is more to the left) you can (for instance) change the aperture to a smaller number (larger aperture) then you will see that the exposure is raised - in other words the graph will move more to the right.

HTH
Kai
Last Edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Kai Diefenbach.

Re: Sunrise today - what did I do wrong? 3 years 11 months ago #2542

Kai could be right. Make sure you are in full manual. Also you need to understand how each part of exposure works. ISO, shutter speed and aperture. How much more light each one gives, their ratios and the other changes that happen from changing them.