Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: First try at Maternity Photo's

First try at Maternity Photo's 3 years 10 months ago #2715

• Ryan
  • Fresh Boarder
My wife and I are expecting our first child within the next few weeks, so since im getting into photography, my wife suggested me take some photos. Here are some of my results. It's my first time doing what I would consider a "portrait" style of photography.

Please be honest as possible. Hope you like.

Maternity Photo by rpokorny, on Flickr
Nikon D5100
35mm 1.8 @ f2.8
ISO 1000
1/60

D5100
35mm 1.8 @ f2.8
ISO 1000
1/40

D5100
35mm 1.8 @ f1.8
ISO 1000
1/60

Like I said, this is the first time I have ever done something like this. Overall, I think do not think I did that bad, but obviously there is always room for improvement. There are a few more photos on Flickr, feel free to look, and give advice on those as well.

Thanks!!!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

First try at Maternity Photo's 3 years 10 months ago #2828

• Ryan
  • Fresh Boarder
Geez tough crowd...nobody to critique... :S
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

First try at Maternity Photo's 3 years 10 months ago #2838

The last is my fav, although you might try reshooting and bringing her away from the window a bit more so the window frames don't touch her and they will be OOF.

First try at Maternity Photo's 3 years 10 months ago #2842

• Ryan
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the response!!!

On my Flickr page, I have a few more photos similar to what I think you are saying.

Those window frames are also removable and I have a few photo's with them removed, but I did not post them on Flickr. After comparing the pictures, I felt that having the inserts in added something to the photo that was missing without them.

First try at Maternity Photo's 3 years 10 months ago #2856

• Mark
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
I think the first one on your flickr photo stream is one of the better shots because your wife's belly is turned a little bit more towards you, looking less flat and more pronounced. Also, I think the window frame works, but I think shadows from the window frame could also help add dimension to your wife's belly. I'm not saying mine are perfect or better than yours, but here are few examples so you can get a better idea of what I mean.
Attachments: