Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Custom White Balance

Custom White Balance 3 years 8 months ago #3502

• Jeremy
  • Fresh Boarder
i have 2 questions for you.

first one: i have an ExpoDisc and i didn't think of it at the time and bought it to fit my my largest lens but now i recently purchased a larger diameter lens and was wondering if it would effect my white balance much if i bought a step-down ring from 72mm-67mm and put my ExpoDisc on my larger lens?

Second: i was told to actually take a custom white balance shot directly toward the ambient light (from the model's perspective) for a correct custom white balance instead of composing the shot then getting the white balance. is that correct?

Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Custom White Balance 3 years 8 months ago #3534

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
I'm not sure how the reducing ring will affect over all white balance?? As far as shooting towards the light I never do and seem to have good luck with it. Try it both ways and see if there's a difference. Most people around here just use auto white balance if your shooting RAW, for me it varies on what I'm doing personally.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeremy
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Custom White Balance 3 years 8 months ago #3556

See these videos, IMO its a waste of time setting custom white balance.

Custom White Balance 3 years 7 months ago #3813

Sorry I know this is an old post; however, I arrived here when I was searching to see if you had any videos on white balance.

I do shoot auto white balance and and RAW, but a do not always know what to do with the image when I get it onto the computer.

I realize peoples taste on white balance varies, but do you have any suggestions on how to work on white balance in post, as well as when to adjust colors? (I use Lightroom 3)

Here is one I was happy with but it was just by luck that I got the colors so nice:

My Valentine - Week 6 by Julie Anne Moore's Photography, on Flickr

b_a.jpg

Here are a couple that I am not sure if they are too warm:

Tucker and Pandora by Julie Anne Moore's Photography, on Flickr

Pandora by Julie Anne Moore's Photography, on Flickr

I really like this photographers work, and she says that she does most of her post in Lightroom and does not use presets.
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Julie Anne Moore.

Custom White Balance 3 years 7 months ago #3814

Julie can I use these photos in a video and explain my thought process when setting wb in lightroom?

Custom White Balance 3 years 7 months ago #3815

Yes, that would be fine. I have the original raw/dng images if you want me to email those.