Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Please help me with clipping issues

Please help me with clipping issues 3 years 8 months ago #3762

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I've watched all of Gregs videos - most of them more than once. I subscribe to several photography magazines and have several books. For the life of me I can not always fix my clipping. When I notice it - I try to adjust my settings, and I try and try. I adjust up, down, one stop, 2, I try so many other possibilities with nothing helping. Of course I check my ISO - I think that is the easiest thing to set. I'm not perfect with metering yet - but please please please please PLEASE help me with clipping. I think I need VISUAL pictures - one with clipping, one without - and to see what the camera settings were to start with and how they were changed? Would like to request a detailed CLIPPING youtube video but I might be the only idiot on the subject. Thanks Cazillions!!!
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Erin.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Please help me with clipping issues 3 years 8 months ago #3773

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
Erin can you post some images? It would help to see what your talking about :D. By chance are you using spot metering?
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Please help me with clipping issues 3 years 8 months ago #3774

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
Bill, I haven't mastered metering yet - I thought it was set to evaluative? I will post some pics soon - but beware - they are horrible!
Thanks for the help!!!!

Please help me with clipping issues 3 years 8 months ago #3776

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Okay, so i did not follow what you want.. But let me say this.

You create images. Thinking they are horrible is not the right mentality. You can either think, i did something not really well.

I always say, if you click the shutterbutton of the camera, you have captured a moment of life. Which you can never do again! The image never fail. Back in the day with shooting film, you can fail an image by burning it out in the blackroom by turning the light on. Thats when you fail an image and thats horrible.

We have to help you finetune your camera and what you are doing. Please show us the images so we can tell you what you can do better next time. We all can learn of that!

Before trying to understand what your camera is doing, try to take images on auto, or on AV/TV. Try to get that right before you jump in on the technical aspect of photography.

A friend of mine is only shooting on auto. He has a 600D or something like that but he is creating the right images and he is selling that to companies. Don't ask me why but he can. So that proves that starting with auto, and after getting that, getting out of auto will help you in your photographic experience.

Also, when shooting auto. Try to see what the camera is doing with the settings before you click the shutter. All settings will come with a reason ;)

After that, try to guess what the camera will do. If you are close to that, thats the moment for getting out of auto.

Greetings,
Roy

Please help me with clipping issues 3 years 8 months ago #3777

In order to understand clipping you need to understand how your histogram works. Watch these 7 videos (a few times if needed) and you should get your basics down. cazillo.com/basics

Please help me with clipping issues 3 years 7 months ago #3847

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks Greg, I've watched all your videos and for the life of me, I'm just missing something :(

Please help me with clipping issues 3 years 7 months ago #3876

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
Roy - I don't normally shoot in Auto. I shoot in Av/Tv but mostly manual. I do get some great shots and I am able to get cash for my photos as well - however, I get frustrated on this clipping thing - because I can't fix it. I try and try and try to make adjustments and it just never gets perfect. I end up having go into photoshop and edit and play around with my levels. I'd prefer to get the best shot possible. I've been taking pictures for ten years - but this one issue seems complicated for me. Thanks for trying to help!!!

Please help me with clipping issues 3 years 7 months ago #3878

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
Please try to get some pics up with the exif data :D, is it the whole image that overexposed or just the sky or??

Please help me with clipping issues 3 years 7 months ago #3962

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
Sometimes in a very contrasty shot, it is very hard to get ideal exposure, the best thing you can do is bracket 3 shots and maybe create an HDR. Also sometimes just doing local adjustments is better than global. Also use your histogram, it will tell you exactly what is going on with your expoosure.
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by jerry. Reason: update to post

Please help me with clipping issues 3 years 7 months ago #3967

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
Sorry I haven't posted lately - I will try to post some pictures today. Jerry - I'm sorry - the photo language is over my head - "to bracket 3 shots and maybe create an HDR" - I have no idea what that means? Yes, I do use my histogram - that's how I know I've got clipping. I took several shots of a family of 4 over the weekend - will post some SOOC and post edits soon. Thanks for trying to help me "get it." - I don't know why I watch video and watch video and read and read and read - yet something is not clicking with me. I appreciate everyones patience!

Please help me with clipping issues 3 years 7 months ago #3968

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
Some clipping is ok, but not alot. HDR is basically you set up your camera to take 3 shots in a row (on a tripod for best results) 1 shot will be overexposed, one will be a mid exposure and a 3rd will be underexposed. Photoshop has HDR merging, you tell photoshop to merge these 3 shots and thats your HDR image, but photoshop isn't that great of a HDR software. You will have to look at your camera guide to figure out how to set up for exposure bracketing, its pretty easy once you figure it out. 1 other thing, if you don't shoot in RAW mode, I suggest you switch your camera to shoot RAW files. Adobe Camera RAW lets you turn on clipping to see where you are clipping and you can make adjustments to minimize it or get rid of it all.

Please help me with clipping issues 3 years 7 months ago #3969

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
Here is one with clipping:

www.flickr.com/photos/13835309@N00/8693150053/

Here is another - not as much - but still - something is off.

www.flickr.com/photos/13835309@N00/8693157579/

And this is the same one post edit -
www.flickr.com/photos/13835309@N00/8694272536/
  • Page: