Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: First action pics of Kids

First action pics of Kids 3 years 7 months ago #3885

I recently ventured away from my comfort zone and tried shooting a moving target. I watched Gregs video quite some time ago on shooting events (shouldve watched again before going to shoot). After I couldnt get the sharp images that I WANTED, I watched your video again today. You should see all the sticky notes around me, this time I TOOK NOTES!! I shot all these in shutter priority instead of apperature. I used 70-200 2.8 lens, just like Greg did in his video. My biggest frustration was that I lost a lot of pics because I couldnt focus fast enough and for some reason couldnt get the shot sharp enough. After looking at these pics, which factor cost me the sharpness of the image? Was it because I had my focus set on partial metering, was it my shutter speed was not high enough, or was it because I used shutter priority instead of apperature? I have still so much to learn, which is why I love coming to your site for direction.

Levi (1 of 1) by Julie Natonabah, on Flickr

Lucas (1 of 1) by Julie Natonabah, on Flickr

Pettyjohn- (1 of 1) by Julie Natonabah, on Flickr

Lightning Fast (1 of 1) by [url=http://www.

Little man Huff (1 of 1) by Julie Natonabah, on Flickrflickr.com/people/wallys_momma/]Julie Natonabah[/url], on Flickr
www.flickr.com/photos/wallys_momma/sets/72157633287318533/
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Julie Natonabah.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

First action pics of Kids 3 years 7 months ago #3889

• Gabe
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi Julie,
I ran into the same issue a few months back when I started. What helped me the most was increasing my shutter speed. I was looking at the Exif data on your photos. You could easily increase your ISO to give you a faster shutter speed. The one tip I got was keep your shutter speed around the same as your focal length (ie 200mm, 1/200sec).

cazillo.com/c/forum/18-other/2630-focusi...photos-critique.html

Hope that helps
The following user(s) said Thank You: Julie Natonabah
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

First action pics of Kids 3 years 7 months ago #3890

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Gabe is right. Nothing wrong with the focus, shutter speed is the problem

Shooting at ISO 100 probably wasn't the best choice tbh. I would have increased it to at least ISO 400 and would probably have used F/4 instead of the varying apertures used here, which would have allowed you to set a faster shutter speed. For this situation, I think Aperture Priority with an aperture of F/4 and an ISO of 400 would have been the best choice.

I assume the 70-200mm has VR/IS? If so, make sure that is on also and follow the rule that you at least match your shutter speed value with the reciprocal of the focal length.
Conor Casey
Flickr

First action pics of Kids 3 years 7 months ago #3892

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Actually, I have had a second thought regarding this just now. If the light was fairly unchanging and you were shooting in the same spot, I would use Manual mode and set the exposure at the beginning - i.e: know what shutter speed and aperture you need and adjust the ISO accordingly.
Conor Casey
Flickr

First action pics of Kids 3 years 7 months ago #3894

I really appreciate the feedback. I watched Greg's video again after taking these shots and took a lot of notes....the focal length/shutter speed was a great tip. It will be my next assignment on my next trip out with camera in hand. Thanks so much for your help.

First action pics of Kids 3 years 7 months ago #3895

• Ryan Jensen
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Julie Natonabah wrote:
...the focal length/shutter speed was a great tip. It will be my next assignment on my next trip out with camera in hand.

That tip only helps to prevent camera shake, not motion blur (what you're getting with the kids' legs and hands). For fast motion, a shutter speed of at least 1/500 is recommended. You can open up your aperture or increase your ISO or both. Set your camera on Tv (or Shutter Priority) at 1/500 and your camera will adjust as needed.

With your 5d Mk II and 70-200 2.8, you could even use Av (Aperture Priority) mode to set the aperture to 2.8 (wide open), the focus mode on AI Servo, and ISO to 800+ (depending on how much you dislike noise). On a sunny day you would easily get a fast enough shutter speed to stop the kids' motion.
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Ryan Jensen. Reason: more detail

First action pics of Kids 3 years 7 months ago #3899

• Tom
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello Julie

I agree with what has been said. It's easy to solve :): shutter speed. Just increase it depending on the type of action you are shooting. I saw your photos and you used the same shutter speed in all photos; just increase it a few more stops till you see you don't have motion blur anymore. Then just work with the aperture and ISO so you can get the proper exposure.

Best Regards
Tom

First action pics of Kids 3 years 7 months ago #3900

• Richard
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
To have a 70-200 2.8 in your arsenal is pretty incredible! But having the best equipment is a small part of the battle. That's what you're experiencing here. Just make sure you don't beat yourself up for not getting right the first few times. As far as a tip: Conor Casey gave you excellent advice. If you're shooting at 70mm, you would want a shutter speed of about 1/70th. However, if you're like me and can only afford a DX body, I have to take that 70mm and multiply it by 1.5-ish. So my focal length is actually 105mm. So, I will make sure my shutter speed is AT LEAST 1/100th in a normal instance. If I'm shooting subjects that are running, I'll go to about 1/300th or more. I'd error on a higher shutter speed. You can always adjust for a half stop or so of exposure but you can't adjust for motion blur. :) I hope that helps!