Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Exposure in Manual mode

Exposure in Manual mode 3 years 7 months ago #3953

Hi all!

I am new to the cazzilo forums, in fact I am new to dslr photography in general. I have been doing extensive studying to try and get up to speed focusing a lot of effort into getting exposure right. I understand the exposure triangle and how each element relates to the others. But a burning question that I cannot seem to find an answer to is where to start when shooting manual. I want to become more proficient with shooting manual. I have read some about the sunny 16 rule where settings are f/16 at a shutter speed of 1/100 and ISO of 100, but what about if it cloudy or indoors or in heavy shade? Is there any rules or rules of thumb that give me a good starting point for the setting or is it trial and error. I would appreciate any advice relating to this issue or any other advice for beginners. I am shooting with a Nikon D7000.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Exposure in Manual mode 3 years 7 months ago #3959

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
well, I tell how I process things not sure if it's technically correct but it works for me.

I try to set the camera according to what I want the finished image to look like. Whether that indoors outdoors or? That being said if I want to capture and image with a blurred background(bokeh) I will set large aperture and then adjust the ISO and Shutter speed to what will work for the situation. If I'm hand holding I need to keep the shutter speed up so I don't get camera shake so I might need to raise the ISO. If I'm on a tripod I might try to drop the ISO so there is less noise and Shutter speed won't matter. If I shooting a landscape I'll go with a smaller aperture and adjust the other setting to something I can work with.

There are times when we have to sacrifice one setting or other to get a good image. For example it might be to bright to user a large aperture and you'll need to sacrifice some of the bokeh to get a good image.

I'm not sure if there are any hard and fast rules. I think it more depends on what you are trying to create!

-Bill
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike Lostraglio
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Exposure in Manual mode 3 years 7 months ago #3960

Thanks Bill!
If I understood right, it sounds like my current method is similar to yours. Albeit, much more clumsy! Sounds like its kind of an experience thing being able to just know where to start given the lighting conditions. So far my shooting style is leaning more toward controlling the aperture to suit what I'm trying to achieve and adjusting shutter and ISO (in that order) to give a properly exposed image. I have shot some moving water where I focused on shutter but still largely find myself going for aperture first.

Exposure in Manual mode 3 years 7 months ago #3961

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
yep! I still fumble my way through it a lot too :blush:. It just depends on what I'm shooting. Sound like your on the right path, just keep shooting and learning from what your doing.

Exposure in Manual mode 3 years 7 months ago #3965

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
Your historgram will tell you alot about your exposure, if you don't know what it is, greg has videos on it or just google on how to use it or check out youtube.