Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Your Thoughts Please

Your Thoughts Please 3 years 7 months ago #4029

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
I've been trying to get better at portraits, especially indoors. I normally like to do them outside. But for this I used lots of window light and bounce flash. The backdrop, is homemade. I really like this, but I am sure someone can tear this apart pretty good. Thanks in advance
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Your Thoughts Please 3 years 7 months ago #4034

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
I don't shoot portraits very often - just look at my portrait-less Flickr page - but I usually have an opinion on all photos, so I'll share it here. :P

First off, good job! Getting out of your comfort zone - whether it is a totally new subject, or just changing setting (in your case, outdoors to indoors) - is always a good idea and will make you a better and more rounded photographer.

Secondly, I think you have done a nice job with the lighting - it's even and balanced across the face. The background is also nicely blurred; it's not distracting and doesn't take away from the subject. The vignette is also a winner for me as it draws your eye into the person.

The thing that I don't like is the pose and the subject's facial expression. It looks totally forced and unnatural. It looks like a middle-ground between a smile and not a smile - like he is ready and about to smile but you fired the shutter a split second too early. Either way, it doesn't work for me at all.

That's all I can really see wrong with the photo; some other forum member may be a real portrait wiz and come up with more productive advice.

Hope that helped somewhat. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Conor Casey. Reason: Spelling mistake
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Your Thoughts Please 3 years 7 months ago #4035

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
Yeah, I agree with Conor on this one. Technically good but the pose looks forced.

-Bill