Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Critique Please.

Critique Please. 3 years 6 months ago #4337

• xzoup
  • Fresh Boarder
A shot of my Daughter and Granddaughter
Canon 5Dm III, 70-200 f/4. At f5.6, exposure 1/640, ISO 800, f/length 73mm, ex. bias +2/3EV.

Carmon & Ashlynn 5Dm3 127 aps2 by carricof, on Flickr
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Critique Please. 3 years 6 months ago #4340

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
over all not a bad image, I did notice a few things though
-your granddaughter looks a little soft, maybe a different focus point or smaller aperture for a longer depth of field
-I would like to see a slightly different composition, I would have shifted the image more to the left, the bush takes too much away from the main focus of the image.
-lastly would be to tone down some of the highlights in the background, they're just a little distracting to me.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Critique Please. 3 years 6 months ago #4344

• xzoup
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks a great deal, after bringing it to my attention I see exactly what you're saying. I just for some reason couldn't put my finger on it. Your point is well taken. Thank you again.

Critique Please. 3 years 6 months ago #4348

• Erik Ballew
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
This is really not a bad picture at all for a photo taken in Automatic mode.

I like the composition, the subjects, and the colors, however your highlights have blown out, and I'm sure that is because of the camera being in Automatic mode, it didn't do a great job evaluating the scene. Also with your camera in Automatic mode, the aperture it picked did not create a depth of field large enough to keep both subjects completely in focus.

Playing in manual, you'll learn how great you can isolate your subjects and make them pop out of the back ground. As well and giving you full creative control over the photo. Keep trying at it, you'll get it.

{Edit}
I don't want to come off as an exposure or Guru or Nazi, just stating what I think could have made it better. It still is a really good photo, and I'm sure anyone would love to have it delivered to them.
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Erik Ballew.

Critique Please. 3 years 6 months ago #4350

• xzoup
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you Bill and Erik. Please lay it on me heavy. I have been a member of a local web site called capturearkansas.com. They are great people, but the only critiques I get are " great shot, nice shot, thats really colorful" so you see I appreciate any commenmts and critiques good and especially bad constuctive criticism.

Critique Please. 3 years 6 months ago #4351

• Erik Ballew
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
I'm not good a critiques because I feel like I don't have the authority to say peoples work isn't great, since to me "Good" is subjective.

I just see that you have a knack for composition, and once you get the hang of the creative control over your camera, you'll be taking really great shots. Again my subjective version of great... But, you really do have an awesome camera, and the 70-200 even f4 is a really good lens. You have the tools available to take shots I only dream of, lol.

Critique Please. 3 years 6 months ago #4360

• Mistery
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
The only bad thing I ahve to say is you cut the little girls hand off. Either get the whole hand or try and cut it off above the wrist area.
D800 w/grip, D700 w/grip,V1,14-24mm F/2.8, 24-70mm F/2.8, 70-200mm F/2.8, 200-400mm F/4, 105mm,F/2.8,35mm F/1.4,35mm F/1.8, 85mm F/1.4,1.7x Tele

Critique Please. 3 years 6 months ago #4363

This is a very lovely picture, I like it. When posting critiques in text, it's hard to sound constructive because text simply does not evince enough information. So I'm very enthusiastic about this image: it's very pretty, colorful, rich, the subjects look great, wonderful smiles, nice comp, and just overall a fun image to look at! :P

For me, the first thing that hits me when viewing your image is compositional. My eye immediately was drawn to the beautiful pink flowers and then to the girls. Now a Japanese viewer would see the girls first because they read from right to left but as a western viewer, my first attention was to the elements in the photograph and not the subjects. I think when evaluating a comp (I think you did pretty well because I realize how fast a shoot goes) we need to first decide on our subject and make sure everything lends itself to accentuating them and not competing with them. Another thought in this vein is that the girls outfits compete with the background and it could be improved if against this beautiful, busy background, they were wearing clothing with no patterns and colors that were complimented by the scenery.

Technically, others have already stated the benefits of controlling the entire image with Manual mode vs. Auto mode so I won't touch on that.

For me, the girls are a bit too far to the right of the shot. Perhaps you had to crop something out on the right but I think this also lends more attention to the pink flowers in the foreground.

If you crop tighter and make sure none of the crop lands at a joint, you'll be fine. I think that would solve the issue with the girl's hand.

For me, blown out highlights are not that much of an issue all the time. In this image, they don't bother me although I don't like that the camera made that decision instead of the photographer. ;)

Lastly, a 5-in-1 reflector would have been great to fill in the the girls' faces.

Can't wait to see your images shot in Manual, great work!
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by nathan sterken.