Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments (04 Feb 2013)

Be sure to check out the new Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments, every two weeks there is a new one!

cazillo.com/c/forum/keep-shooting-photography-assignments.html

Newbie need some advice

More
5 years 6 months ago #4826 by Conor Casey
Conor Casey replied the topic: Newbie need some advice
Hi Johan,

Your shots are underexposed, simple as that. Watch Greg's video on exposure and you'll hopefully understand it then.

Basically what is happening is that you are not allowing enough light into the camera with the settings you're using. If the subject is static, a tripod will allow you to use longer exposures. The settings you're using are wrong, which has resulted in an image that is almost 5 stops under-exposed.

Were you shooting in full manual mode?

Conor Casey
Flickr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #4873 by Johan
Johan replied the topic: Newbie need some advice
I shot in AV mode. I did not use flash, and that was the main purpose the images were too dark. I've shot a lot now and they all look great, just because I've popped on the flash. I use a hood on my lense, but I think that's not wise to use when using the flash. It gives this weird shadow on the downside of the picture.

Another question is about filming. I've shot lots of great (and less great) fireworks pictures now, but I wanted to try out the filming qualities of the camera too. So I shot a few movies.

Sample:

I often see weird green dots. Does that show up because of over-exposure? Is there a way to reduce it?

And, not really showing up in this movie, sometimes there is lense flare (double image) when there is bright fireworks. Will a UV filter reduce this?

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #4931 by Conor Casey
Conor Casey replied the topic: Newbie need some advice
That film looks good to me Johan. :)

I don't shoot video...ever so I'm not sure what the green dots are; maybe a video shooter on here could answer this? :unsure: The lens flare on the other hand can be combated by using a lens hood. When the fireworks explode, they act like the sun, shining into the lens and causing lens flare. A good lens hood should counteract this but you might be able to reduce it by moving the camera to different angles.

Conor Casey
Flickr
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Conor Casey.