Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Newbie and sensor cleaning

Newbie and sensor cleaning 3 years 4 months ago #4725

• Jonas
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Yesterday I asked Greg on live Monday why he doesn't clean his sensors. He said he can't get it perfect. I did my first wet cleaning and I can't say anything but how easy it is to get it absolutely perfect. To me, it's worth doing over sending to Nikon and paying someone else $50 or whatever plus being without a camera for however many weeks it takes. I did the whole cleaning in 15 minutes.

Camera didn't show anything at f/stops much lower than 22, so in reality, most people just leave it how it is (since they recommend only to clean when you can start seeing stuff closer to f/stops of 6 and such), although being sort of a perfectionist as I am I wanted to try to eliminate even the most smallest spec of oil/dust possible. Here is the before picture of the sensor at f/stop 22 with strong visualization and magnification to show any signs of oil/dust, which is normal of a new camera with that many shots:
ScreenShot2013-08-06at3.32.35PM.png

Well here is what it looks like after I wet cleaned it all by myself! 100%! I love it! Now back to shooting!
ScreenShot2013-08-06at3.32.56PM.png
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Newbie and sensor cleaning 3 years 4 months ago #4735

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Hi,

Wet cleaning is a real possible solution for cleaning the image sensor. Personally I come by the camera store that often that they clean my camera monthly for a couple of bugs. And I am guaranteed that they keep it in one piece and they keep it working.

If something is malfunctioning after the cleanup, they will replace the body (if its related to the cleanup)

So yeah. Both possible and its all about how comfortable you feel with it.

Greetings,
Roy
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Newbie and sensor cleaning 3 years 4 months ago #4736

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
I have never needed to wet clean my sensor. I rarely see dust and dirt on it. When I have I get the old blower out give it a few puffs and move on. I really don't like to do it but, I can't see dropping $50 every time I need it cleaned.

Newbie and sensor cleaning 3 years 4 months ago #4737

• Jonas
  • Fresh Boarder
Roy van Ommen wrote:
Hi,

Wet cleaning is a real possible solution for cleaning the image sensor. Personally I come by the camera store that often that they clean my camera monthly for a couple of bugs. And I am guaranteed that they keep it in one piece and they keep it working.

If something is malfunctioning after the cleanup, they will replace the body (if its related to the cleanup)

So yeah. Both possible and its all about how comfortable you feel with it.

Greetings,
Roy

It's really really easy and you can't mess up unless you swipe more than once after swiping or you do something ridiculous like press really really hard.

Damaging the sensor is severely overblown is my point. If it was that risky camera shops would be out of business.

Of course if you don't mind driving and paying someone else to do something simple then go ahead. I just wanted to post this because there seems to be a lot of overblown misconception regarding keeping your sensor spotless.

Newbie and sensor cleaning 3 years 4 months ago #4738

• Jonas
  • Fresh Boarder
Bill wrote:
I have never needed to wet clean my sensor. I rarely see dust and dirt on it. When I have I get the old blower out give it a few puffs and move on. I really don't like to do it but, I can't see dropping $50 every time I need it cleaned.

I didn't think I needed it either. It never showed in any of my pictures. I had to get the kit lens on, blow it to f/stop 22 and still had a bit of a hard time. Then I used software to magnify and really show the spots.

If you use a zoom lens ever, you 100% have dust on your sensor because it sucks in air into the body each time you zoom. Not having some is impossible after taking several pictures.

I like having the piece of mind of knowing that the sensor is sparkling clean for photographs while not being out of a camera for a few weeks and without having to pay someone else to do it and this post is all about saying that anybody can do it....professionals and even newbies. No reason not to imho.