Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Mounting and care for large prints - Help!

Mounting and care for large prints - Help! 3 years 6 days ago #5322

• Gabe
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
So I just ordered some really big prints (2 12x18, 1 16x20) and now that I have them, Im not sure how I should display them (guess I should have thought of that first :oops: ) I was thinking of mounting them to foam board so I can hang them on my walls but, without glass or encapsulation, how do I protect the images from the elements? Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance
Last Edit: 3 years 6 days ago by Gabe.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Mounting and care for large prints - Help! 3 years 6 days ago #5323

• Jim St Croix
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
maybe a laminate or acrylic front.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Mounting and care for large prints - Help! 3 years 6 days ago #5325

Frame them! Many times the perfect frame can give your photographs or other prints a huge visual boost.

Mounting and care for large prints - Help! 3 years 6 days ago #5326

• Gabe
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks guys. I agree with Greg for the smaller prints. Now that I look at them, I think the will look pretty nice in a frame with a mat board. I did some searching online and came across mounting photos to foam board, mat board, gator board, etc. I think I might try that for the larger print. I havent mounted prints to board since high school. Has anyone tried mounting to foam board? Any tips/tricks?

Mounting and care for large prints - Help! 3 years 6 days ago #5328

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
I guess I would go and look at frames or have a custom frame done and hang them on the wall. I've never done posterboard and would never think to do so. Frames to me, is the only option.
Last Edit: 3 years 6 days ago by jerry.

Mounting and care for large prints - Help! 3 years 5 days ago #5329

Definitely frame them. As a professional picture framer I would recommend mounting them on foamboard, matting them to keep away from the glass, and use a nice UV protected glass. If these are cherished prints, your investment is invaluable, and timeless. I use acid free or rag mats on all prints, and highly recommend the UV glass, it comes in clear or non reflective.

Mounting them on foamboard is something a framer can do for you. Stay away from spray adhesives ( they don't last anyway, and are a huge mess).

If you don't like the look of a frame, or do not want to use glass, then having them laminated is the other option. Again, a good framer has access to those options.

Either way, when you go the extra to preserve the art, and display them in a professional way, you will enjoy them forever.
I frame your memories! lcframing.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gabe

Mounting and care for large prints - Help! 3 years 4 days ago #5333

If you care about the prints DON'T go to Michaels or any other big box store. Go to a custom framer who knows what they are doing. I use Bridget to frame all of my work, she will gladly ship everything too!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gabe

Mounting and care for large prints - Help! 3 years 4 days ago #5334

• Gabe
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks guys. You both gave me ideas to toy with. Theres a local framer a few blocks from where Im at but Im also on a tight budget. Im leaning more towards the foam board idea as they produce a nice clean look. I just got a new place and using these as decorative pieces. Thanks again for the help. I'll let you all know how they came out.