Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Commentary?

Commentary? 4 years 5 months ago #1561

• Dennis
  • Junior Boarder
Each of the attached has been entered in competition. Anyone have any comments or critique?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Commentary? 4 years 5 months ago #1563

The first one looks cool. I'm not into flowers but the flower popping out of the black background and the way the middle of it comes together makes it look interesting to me. The yellow center looks like its glowing. I can't tell what I'm looking at in the second one and the third one doesn't interest me, the colors look kind of dull.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Commentary? 4 years 5 months ago #1566

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
I agree with Kenny that the first one is the best. I like the black background and its contrast with the blue and yellow of the flower. Focus on the centre of the flower is perfect. Good job, it is so important to get the focus correct in these types of photos, otherwise, they can be completely ruined. How did you get the background black? Did you underexpose and use flash to isolate the flower? Because you must be careful if doing it this way because just a tiny part of the background is not fully black (left hand side close to a petal looks kind of brown). This is just being picky though and it is still a good photo. :)

The second one (34KB) is not as good. The focus is off here as it should, in my opinion, be on the above part of the image which is the most interesting. It really doesn't look all that sharp to me where it should be. I am not a huge fan of the composition either. Try shooting from a higher position or down into the flower to include more of the middle of it. I do however like the colour of the out of focus area.

The third is pretty well composed. I agree with Kenny though that the colours are rather dull and uninspiring, particularly behind the flower on the green petals rather than on the flower itself. Perhaps due to flash again? If you are lucky enough to have a macro lens, try getting in closer to the flower and fill the frame as it looks like an interesting flower. Is it a rhododendron?

Hope this helped.
Conor Casey
Flickr
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dennis

Re: Commentary? 4 years 5 months ago #1567

• Dennis
  • Junior Boarder
The third capture is a hydrangea. This hyd won a best in shown in 2012

Re: Commentary? 4 years 5 months ago #1568

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
A hydrangea! My father would be ashamed of me for not knowing that. :P
Conor Casey
Flickr

Re: Commentary? 4 years 5 months ago #1572

• Clair
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I love the first shot!

Re: Commentary? 4 years 5 months ago #1574

• Dennis
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks, Clair!

Re: Commentary? 4 years 5 months ago #1576

• Dennis
  • Junior Boarder
Clair -took a quick look at your website

Really great shot of the turkey and the white fellow at the bottom (marmet?)

Great site!