Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Need Honest Opinion

Need Honest Opinion 4 years 3 months ago #2083

• Caleb Stewart
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello All!! I have been shooting for many years as an armature and with in the last year I have begun to make money and have been able to pay off all my gear, and pay for my up coming wedding. This is not my main source of income but it is turning out to be a great supplement. My first question is what exactly makes someone a "pro" photographer, and also I wanted to show some of my most recent photos to see if they are on that caliber in others opinions... The clients seem to always be happy but sometimes when its there kid, there are no "bad" pictures!! Please let me know what I could do different or add to shoots like this to improve them.

These were taken outside with no extra light. shot in manual.

untitled shoot-5790.jpg by klab219, on Flickr

untitled shoot-5778.jpg by klab219, on Flickr

untitled shoot-5816.jpg by klab219, on Flickr

untitled shoot-5905.jpg by klab219, on Flickr
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Need Honest Opinion 4 years 3 months ago #2086

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Hi there Caleb!

Welcome to the forums!

Very nice you are taking steps to earn some money with photography.

About your images... :)

Image 1.
Nice shot. Could not give you tips about this one.. maybe a little more light in the face.. a little more contast, but thats my "style"..

Image 2
Nice shot, nice bokeh :). I miss some space on the left side.. just a slight bit of space would make this image better.

Image 3
Great shot. Thinkiing out of the box. Nice smile. Nice candid feeling. Great.

Image 4
I assume the parents are in the background.. would loved to see a little more of them, so a higher aperture number would get some more detail in the background and see the faces of the parents.

Overall i think they are nice.

Hope to see some more. I am very intrested in your people shots. Maybe you have some shots of adults, would love to see how you work on that.

Greetings,
Roy
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Need Honest Opinion 4 years 3 months ago #2090

• Christian Udarbe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Just go out and shoot
  • Thank you received: 12
Welcome Caleb!

First off, nice set of photos, but I will give a little bit of my opinions on each.

Photo 1: I would like to have more light on the subject.

Photo 2: Pretty impressive, maybe fill him a little more in the frame would be nice

Photo 3: This one in particular is nice. A tad soft in the eyes and around the edges, but that is forgiven

Photo 4: Great bokeh on this. The people in the back adds a certain mystery, but if they were his parents, then maybe a little less bokeh can add to the context/story of the image.

Thanks for sharing Caleb! Looking forward to more of your images (added you as contact at Flickr, btw ;) )

A medical student;
A musician;
A photographer;
ITS ALL AN ART

Blogger
Facebook
Flickr
Twitter: @ChanUdarbe

Add me up!

Re: Need Honest Opinion 4 years 3 months ago #2092

• Caleb Stewart
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey thanks guys!!! I really appreciate the input...

Re: Need Honest Opinion 4 years 3 months ago #2093

Overall your images are good, be careful with cutting off body parts and clothing or parts hitting the edges of the frame. One other detail that no one mentioned is your white balance. When presenting a set of images like this be sure to match their white balance.

Can I get a favor? I'd really like to do a video on this, can I use them in a video? Please send me an email...greg@.....thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Caleb Stewart

Re: Need Honest Opinion 4 years 3 months ago #2096

• Caleb Stewart
  • Fresh Boarder
sure thing greg!! and thanks for the input, I sent you an email, if you don't get it please let me know.... thanks again!

Re: Need Honest Opinion 4 years 3 months ago #2099

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Gregory Cazillo wrote:
Overall your images are good, be careful with cutting off body parts and clothing or parts hitting the edges of the frame. One other detail that no one mentioned is your white balance. When presenting a set of images like this be sure to match their white balance.

Can I get a favor? I'd really like to do a video on this, can I use them in a video? Please send me an email...greg@.....thanks!

Greg,

I am very curious about this. Would you use a grey card for this? If yes, how would you use it? In every different light position a shot of the greycard? Or would you do it once?

If no, how do you do it in post processing?

Greetings,
Roy

Re: Need Honest Opinion 4 years 3 months ago #2100

I'll talk about it in the video but its just a matter of setting/synchronizing the white balance on all files so they are the same. The scene appears to be close enough that it won't be an issue.