Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Gear not good enough

Gear not good enough 3 years 11 months ago #2533

• roy panaguiton
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
hello guys. got a story to share. hope you dont mind. anyways as the title says "gears not enough" says that my gears are not good enough for me anymore. that is why im selling them :(
December is a month that have many events going on. one of them is my daughters Christmas Presentation. im using a nikon D5000 with a tamron 28-75mm 2.8. before this event i had shot my daughter at the same venue using a 55-200mm + external flash. my mistake for almost all of my image are useless. this was shot inside a church and daytime. so i brought my tamron this time. in the morning show i did not bring an external flash(no time to buy battery). got good image but not even 60% of what i shot was good enough. btw, im shooting at ISO 800 and up. i know i can manage the noise at PP.
at night time performance i have very good result using just the pop-up flash sometimes. i still got no time to buy the battery for my external flash. i shot at ISO1250. was amaze how my camera handles the noise. but then my trick was i brought a monopad this time. it helps a lot. shooting at 1/40sec and sometimes 1/30sec with a monopad helps.
so i was thinking even with good glass my camera body cant handle the situation i was in. if i have a good body that can go ISO1600 and up i know i can get more shot that are very good.
new lesson learned. got to practice more.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Gear not good enough 3 years 11 months ago #2613

Any gear is good, it all comes down to your level of knowledge and how to leverage the equipment you have to do the job that needs done.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Gear not good enough 3 years 11 months ago #2629

• Mistery
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
I was out of the game for an extremely long time and when I got back into I bought the D5000. It's a great camera for using outside in the daylight, but it is still very limited.

I then upgraded to the D7000 and shooting inside became much easier, except for the hunting in low light situations and I now use a D700 and could not be happier.

Equipment makes it easier to do the job correctly...again it comes down to what Mr. Cazillo said though...Knowledge
D800 w/grip, D700 w/grip,V1,14-24mm F/2.8, 24-70mm F/2.8, 70-200mm F/2.8, 200-400mm F/4, 105mm,F/2.8,35mm F/1.4,35mm F/1.8, 85mm F/1.4,1.7x Tele

Gear not good enough 3 years 11 months ago #2634

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
To be honest.. i do agree with Mr. Cazillo. Even though, i think that if you start with a certain camera, there will always be that moment that you reach the limitations of the camera/lens/flash or what ever. Thats why they've putted in consumer bodies and lenses...

If you reach the limitations, its for you to decide what you want. Are you ready to upgrade? Do you have the money? Can you live with the limitations?

I personally use a 60D for my personal stuff. Yes, its more limited then my 5d mk III, but is it a problem? No. Because i know what the 60D is capable of and i can create the image as good as the 5d Mk III.

But, better gear makes things easier. Yes, you can shoot a Formula One Racing car with a Nikon D3000. You can nail it. Its a fact.

Better with a D4? No, if you handle the D3000 well, you can get a good image. But the D4 will make it easier ;)

Hope that narrows the "gear" part down.

Roy, if you feel like you have grown out of your gear. Upgrade. Just do it. But if you upgrade, do it well. High Quality glass. High Quality Body... a upgrade from a D3000 (for example) to a D5000 (for example) won't be a good step. To a D600 or even a D3, D3S, or D4 will make the difference.

Try to get good glass. The hebrew trinity will be a good start... But i know you love macro shots so first go for a good quality macro lens :)

Greetings,
Roy