Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Background to bright?

Background to bright? 3 years 11 months ago #2640

• Mistery
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
I'm curious if the background is to distracting?

D800 w/grip, D700 w/grip,V1,14-24mm F/2.8, 24-70mm F/2.8, 70-200mm F/2.8, 200-400mm F/4, 105mm,F/2.8,35mm F/1.4,35mm F/1.8, 85mm F/1.4,1.7x Tele
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Background to bright? 3 years 11 months ago #2646

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Yes, personally I find it a tad too distracting but that is purely personal. They say our eyes go to the highlights or brightest part of an image first and that is the first thing my eyes did when I saw this photo. I think the reindeer are a little too bright. Although, I suspect that others will disagree with me, I find it a tad too distracting. Sorry.
Conor Casey
Flickr
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Background to bright? 3 years 11 months ago #2651

Doesn't bother me, journalistic images like this one can break the rules. You might lighten the whole image a bit to show him more.

Background to bright? 3 years 11 months ago #2652

• Mistery
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Thanks for the replies.
D800 w/grip, D700 w/grip,V1,14-24mm F/2.8, 24-70mm F/2.8, 70-200mm F/2.8, 200-400mm F/4, 105mm,F/2.8,35mm F/1.4,35mm F/1.8, 85mm F/1.4,1.7x Tele

Background to bright? 3 years 11 months ago #2657

The background looks fine to me as far as brightness goes.

Background to bright? 3 years 11 months ago #2664

• KevinA65
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
If you are happy with it, then it's good. But, it sounds like you are second guessing yourself, I do this all the time. To me the photo looks fine. It tells a story and you captured it.

Background to bright? 3 years 11 months ago #2667

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
I think the background is too light. If you bring the background (only the background) 1 or 0,5 stop down. I think the image would be a lot better and telling the story which it is telling already, but then more...

Uh.. yes, don't know if thats correct English, but i think you will get my point.

Maybe you can redo your post processing... If you already doubt your image, make it better. Try to make 2 versions and choose the best one by comparing it.

Greetings,
Roy

Background to bright? 3 years 10 months ago #2781

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
I had to look at this photo for a while to figure out what was bothering me about it. I think I find the background a little distracting but I think what's bothering me more is the depth of field. I'm assuming you added the blur in PS. I personally don't like the blur on items that are on the same plane as the items that are in focus. My suggestion would be to start the blur at the rear edge of the wall with a light blur and gradually get blurrier the farther you go back into the pic.