Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Critique

Critique 3 years 8 months ago #3569

Any critiques...

Shot with Canon 60D
10mm-20mm f3.5 Sigma
--
ISO 100
10mm
f/22
FloridaVacationSunriseDecember242012-3-2copy.jpg

55 sec exp.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Critique 3 years 8 months ago #3609

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Looks good to me James. The composition is nice, exposure is correct, if maybe a little bit dark. I love the blue at the top of the sky. Did you use an ND filter?

The only thing I would maybe do is have included more of the rocks in the foreground and shot out to sea a bit more but that is perhaps another image in itself. Anything else that I would do would just be in post processing and I am not sure you want to hear about that?
Conor Casey
Flickr
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Critique 3 years 8 months ago #3624

• Tom
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello James

I like your photo, the long exposure resulted in a good image. Also, the colours in the sky are good. If I may give a suggestion, maybe I'd try not to put the horizon line not so much in the middle in order to use the rule of thirds, making the end of the platform to be the main subject and put it where the horizontal and vertical lines cross.

Best regards

Critique 3 years 8 months ago #3648

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
how do you like that lens?? I've been trying to decide what lens(es) to buy B) .......too many choices :ohmy:

Critique 3 years 8 months ago #3651

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Hi Bill, I also have that lens and can offer my opinion on it also.

I think it is a great lens. I tried out the two Nikon options too, the 12-24 F/4 and the 10-24 but preferred the Sigma for three main reasons:

1) It was considerably cheaper than the two Nikon options when I bought it, the 10-24mm and 12-24mm were at least 50% more expensive as I recall.

2) It had a constant F/3.5 aperture compared to variable on the 10-24mm (yuck) and constant (F/4) on the 12-24mm.

3) It felt just as good as the more expensive Nikons in my hand.

The 12-24mm would have been my second choice had I not gone for the Sigma but one of the big deciding factors was the 10mm of the Sigma vs the 12mm of the Nikon which makes a big difference at the wide end of things.

Build quality is good and the lens focuses well too. Image quality and sharpness are excellent. Overall, I am very happy with it and would buy it again if I was in your position. I read a lot of reviews on lenses before I bought and the most influencing one on me was this one compared to the Nikon 12-24mm and the Nikon 10-24mm.

Despite being a third party lens, the Sigma is actually considered the best ultra-wide for DX as in all the reviews I have read, it has come out best of image quality and price.
Conor Casey
Flickr
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Conor Casey.