Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: First Photo Post

First Photo Post 3 years 8 months ago #3578

• Tom
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Good evening

I am new to the forum, so hopefully I'm doing this correctly. This is my first topic posting a photo, and would surely like to hear your opinions about it :). I used my Canon 600D with a 18-55mm IS II lens. The settings, if I remember them correctly, were aperture f11, shutter speed 1/125 and the ISO was 640.

Hope you like it :)

Best regards
The administrator has disabled public write access.

First Photo Post 3 years 8 months ago #3586

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Hi there,

I think its a nice image. Composition and settings are right. Even though i miss some intrest in it. I was looking to it like, okay, right .... Nice instead of WOW...

Maybe you should leave it in color... Maybe that will work out? Can you try that?

Greetings,
Roy
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

First Photo Post 3 years 8 months ago #3594

I like the angle, were you on a ladder or a hill?

First Photo Post 3 years 8 months ago #3604

• Tom
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the comments Roy and Greg.

Roy, here is the image in colours, what do you think?

Greg, I was at the top of the stairs on the hill (highest part of the park), I thought it would give a nice look to the photo having that angle, instead of being at ground level.
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Tom.

First Photo Post 3 years 8 months ago #3605

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Hi Tom,

It's a nice shot; I like it. I do agree with Roy though that it seems to be missing the wow factor. The composition is good and the exposure is correct.

I think it is missing a person. Often these images work best when there is a person walking away in the distance/ middle-ground of the photo.

I would also dodge and burn the photo subtly just to add a bit more interesting light in places if you could. Otherwise, it is a nice photo and it is a scene that might look well as an infrared photo if you are into that.

Keep it up. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Conor Casey.

First Photo Post 3 years 8 months ago #3606

• Conor Casey
Oh, just seen you have posted a colour version. I personally much prefer it in colour. With black and white, you have to rely on texture, lighting etc as you have no colour to provide impact. I think the image in black and white is missing these factors that the colour provides.

I have just thought of something. You should try zooming in to just include the trees in the centre and the walkway. By removing some of the clutter to the sides of the trees, I think it would be a much stronger image. Try to include a person next time too. Good job overall though; of the two, the colour looks better to me. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr

First Photo Post 3 years 8 months ago #3616

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Wow! That colored one is really working for me. Nice colors and it gets some intrest.

Even though.. i miss something like a subject, either a car, person, animal or what ever.

Overal, i think this is a good shot. I will not burn this one down because i like it :)

Greetings,
Roy

First Photo Post 3 years 8 months ago #3622

• Tom
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Conor for your comments on the photo. Your suggestion made me think and do some work on the photo. Even though I just cropped it, the result was creating a completely different photo. What do you think? I personally like it, and it's a completely different photo which doesn't substitute the previous one.

Glad you both liked the original photo in colour Roy and Conor :). I see that it adds some "wow factor" to the photo now with the colours, as it calls your attention to the photo more than just in black and white. I'll keep in mind your suggestion of adding a subject to these kind of photos, always learning!

Best regards,
Tom
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Tom.

First Photo Post 3 years 8 months ago #3623

• Conor Casey
Good idea cropping to see the difference Tom; it definitely helps with the learning process.

Personally, I think the cropped one is a visually stronger image and would look great with a person in it.

Keep up the good work Tom and thanks for posting your work. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr