Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: River Photo

River Photo 3 years 7 months ago #3997

• Tom
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Good morning

This last week I had to travel and took my camera with me. On the back of the hotel there was a river, and each morning I saw the exact same man doing the same thing every day. He was fishing and used his "boat" to go around the river. One of the days I thought it would result on a nice photograph if I could get a good composition and, of course, exposure. Thus, I thought to share this photo with all of you and see what you think :).

The camera I used was a Canon 7D with a 18-55 IS II lens. The settings were f/11, 1/200 and ISO 100. Hope you like the photo :)

Best Regards
Tom
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Tom.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

River Photo 3 years 7 months ago #4045

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
not a bad image over all, but IMO a different composition or angle would have produced a better result. The focus of the image is the man in boat but your eyes are not drawn to that as the main focus of the image. May less of the river bank on the right?
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

River Photo 3 years 7 months ago #4048

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Hi Tom,

I agree fully with Bill. The image is much too wide. The focus is on the man in the boat (you said so in your post), but he occupies only a fraction of the image's space. I would advise zooming in more to include just the man in the boat and the bridge (and the water of course) because these are your main focus. Like Bill suggested, a different angle/perspective may also benefit the shot.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice shot, it's just a pity because it could be a really nice shot. The exposure and all of that is perfect, it's just the composition that's lacking a little. Don't worry too much though, that will come and improve with time and practise.

Thanks for the post Tom; always nice to see your shots. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr

River Photo 3 years 7 months ago #4109

• Dwayne
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I like the composition, all that space on the right side gives it a feeling of solitude. But, if possible, I would try a different location. That mud or mucky shoreline on the right side is really distracting and that is where my eye goes.

River Photo 3 years 7 months ago #4118

Maybe a second or third shot with a lower angle, would have been awesome if you were in the water or very low with the buildings in the background.

River Photo 2 years 9 months ago #5608

• Bill
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Wannbie Photographer from Northern Ireland
Hi Tom,

Shot more the RHS and zoomed in more to remove the distracting foreground, then converted to a nice smooth black and white would work great.

I would have waited a little longer until the guy moved further out a bit more, which would guide the eye more toward that wonderful bridge, and those great reflections in the water.

Less is more B)