Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Nashville Band - Portraits

Nashville Band - Portraits 3 years 3 weeks ago #5241

• The Grease Man
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Was doing some volunteer/probono work last night with a band from Nashville, TN...They came into Austin, TX for the FunFunFun Fest going on this weekend...

Lighting was absolutely horrible at the venue...Even at f2.8 I wasn't able to get a shutter speed over 1/100sec, usually it was at 1/50sec...On my 7D it required ISO 6400 quite alot...Luckily I was able to secure these 2, which I feel are pretty solid...these photos were actually taken with my 28-135mm kit lens so I could get closer shots...the only other glass I had with me (from a job earlier yesterday) was my 16-35 f2.8 mk1...so the shots i got with that were obviously much wider

Colette -- I waited for the right moment between her drumming to grab this one...Did some tone curve editing in LR5 to produce the blueish color & added a +33 vignette to produce the soft white around the corners
1/25sec f5.6 ISO6400 85mm (28-135mm kit lens)

colette-portrait by Grease Man Photography, on Flickr

Lance Whalen -- During this song his lyrics & guitar playing were somewhat eerie which is what inspired me to add the -100 vignette to convey the feeling behind the music
1/40sec f5.6 ISO6400 95mm (28-135mm kit lens)

lance-portrait by Grease Man Photography, on Flickr
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Nashville Band - Portraits 3 years 3 weeks ago #5244

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
I like the 2nd but not the first

The 2nd is a 2 tone green and yellowish style where those two tones really compliment each other. It is nice and punchy too. I like

The first looks like a regular picture with a colour cast. I dont feel anything from it but damn that sure is blue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Grease Man
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Nashville Band - Portraits 3 years 3 weeks ago #5248

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Agree completely with Brent. The second one is a much stronger image, both in terms of pose and camera technique, as well as processing.

Well done for being able to hand-hold a 1/40 shutter speed at 95mm and still get a sharp image! ;)
Conor Casey
Flickr

Nashville Band - Portraits 3 years 3 weeks ago #5250

• The Grease Man
  • Senior Boarder
thanks guys...

the 1st image was 1 of only a few i was able to get due to lack of lighting on the subject & the way she had her body turned 90% of the time (something having to do with the way she had her drums setup)...i suggested to her that next time she's being photographed or even anytime while performing, to maybe place her drums on the opposite side of stage, so when she is turned to left, she'll be in view much more of the time

thanks for the critique...i understand the blueish thing, however, when i was playing with the tone curve, i honestly felt it gave a "sweeter" feminine look...like i said before, the lighting was HORRIBLE at this venue & she was turned away into shadows

Nashville Band - Portraits 3 years 3 weeks ago #5251

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Yeah, its too bad drummers are always buried in the back. Also too bad you were stuck at f/5.6. Damn all odds were against you.

Nashville Band - Portraits 3 years 3 weeks ago #5252

• The Grease Man
  • Senior Boarder
Yep, had I known ahead of time that I was gonna do this work, I would've had my other 2.8 lenses with me...but all I had was the 16-35 from the vehicle photography I was doing earlier in the day
Last Edit: 3 years 3 weeks ago by The Grease Man.