Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Back from hiatus

Back from hiatus 2 years 3 weeks ago #6276

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
Hello All!

I've not been around in while, just busy with life and what not :(. I hope to try and start hanging around again. We'll see what life throws my way. I had the day off and shot some photos of various flowers I got my wife. These were shot with an old FD 50MM macro lens. The first 2 were shot with extension tubes the rest are just the lens. There all shot at various apertures and exposures at either iso 100 or 400. As usual I've done very little editing to them, not my favorite thing to do. Give your thoughts good or bad. Thanks in advance.

Bill

IMG_4553 by reburg_99, on Flickr

IMG_4570 by reburg_99, on Flickr

IMG_4608 by reburg_99, on Flickr

UEIMG_4575 by reburg_99, on Flickr

IMG_4633 by reburg_99, on Flickr

IMG_4603 by reburg_99, on Flickr
Last Edit: 2 years 3 weeks ago by Bill.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Back from hiatus 2 years 2 weeks ago #6281

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
My favourites are the 1st one, third one and last one. Cool framing and colour :O
Some seem a tad muddy, How was the initial exposure. Is there any post work done to them?
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Back from hiatus 2 years 2 weeks ago #6283

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks for your input Brent. Most had a longer exposure(+1 sec). I shot them in my kitchen. I only had a small overhead light and used a small aperture. I had some side lighting from a French door, but it seemed to cause more hotspots then anything. As far as post, I edited everything in Lightroom. I did basic adjustments white balance, exposure, contrast, saturation, etc. What did you mean by muddy? We're you referring to color, focus or?

Back from hiatus 2 years 2 weeks ago #6284

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
Sorry it's what happens to colour pallet what you underexpose then add exposure in post. If the image is underexposed enough to start with, you toss away a lot of colour tones making the image muddy. Thats why cranking the iso is better, no matter how much noise the iso would introduce.

I guess a lack of contrast and pop would also lead to feeling muddy like image 3, where all grey exist between like 30% and 70%

Here is a flower photo I did that fails on all levels
_JEF1259 by charltonstudios, on Flickr

the larger flowers have nice pop but the overexposure ruins it. but notice the small cluster of flowers in the middle that should draw your eye to it but doesnt because its just to damn flat, initially underexposed and dull looking.
Last Edit: 2 years 2 weeks ago by Brent Ross.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill

Back from hiatus 2 years 1 week ago #6290

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
Good eye, I went back thought some of the images. There were some that were a little under exposed. I was really concentrating of getting the focus spot on, something I struggle with :(. I need to make a check list of things to remember.....

Back from hiatus 2 years 1 week ago #6293

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
Yeah, lots to think of when shooting macro especially when dealing with such a wide dynamic range lighting situation.