Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Use of Filters. UV, CPL, Etc..

Use of Filters. UV, CPL, Etc.. 4 years 7 months ago #1371

I would like to know about if it is necesary to use filters or not.
My concern it is about of loosing quality in my pictures, using any kind of filters.
I`ve heard many photographers that they don`t use filters.

Do we have to take them off or we have to protect our glass?

thanks,
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Use of Filters. UV, CPL, Etc.. 4 years 7 months ago #1373

• photodude2b
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I started out by using filters but as I've upgraded my glass and become more used to a heavy camera and big lenses I tend not to use filters. Why pay big money for good quality glass and then put a cheap filter on it.

Some say you should use a filter for protection but I always use a lens hood. Like most things in photography - do whatever feels right for you.
I luv my Canon 7d!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregory Cazillo
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Use of Filters. UV, CPL, Etc.. 4 years 7 months ago #1394

Over here salesman in stores always try to sell cameras and lenses with UV filters "protection, dust, nuclear attacks etc. etc." It has the biggest profit margin, so they want to sell as many as possible.

All modern cameras have UV filtering built in, and all lenses are UV coated these days. So UV filters are pretty much obsolete. Everything you put in front of your lens is going influence your image, and most f the time not in a positive way. Using filters makes things more prone to have flares and other not wanted things. Image degradation, how small, is not wanted in my book.

The only filters you might really need are filters like polarizer and ND filters etc. To create effects, not to use 24/7 on your lens. And if you choose to buy a filter, buy the best you can. Not a $15 one, but a $150 from like Hoya, B&W or such.
If you are going to handle your stuff really rough like in windy desserts, mountains or places were a lenshood might not be the protection you need, or want ( rocky spikes sticking in lenshoods :angry: ) Then you might want to look at real protection filters like the Hoya HD Protectors. But normaly, a good lenshood will protect enough. And if you drop the lens, run over it with a truck, a filter or lenshood won't help that much ;)

Here are some tests to show you how filters might influence your images:
www.lenstip.com/113.1-article-UV_filters_test.html

And here is what a real protection filter should work:
Nikon FX body's and some Nikkor FX glass I believe...

Praktica 35mm analogue just for fun

www.remcovandesanden.nl

Re: Use of Filters. UV, CPL, Etc.. 4 years 7 months ago #1397

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Personally, I don't use UV filters, never had. I just do not see the point of buying a nice piece of glass and then putting a cheep, crappy piece of glass in front of it. It will do nothing for your pictures, and will not help you improve your photography.

If you want protection for your glass, use a lens-hood. I do and it protects against flare too.

I like landscape photography and I do use filters, but not UV filters. I use ND, ND Grad and polarizing filters which actually affect the image. Don't buy the cheapest ND/ND Grad filters either. Don't buy the cheapest €15 ND filter as it will not do anything for your photos. Again, it is like the UV filter. If you have an expensive piece of glass, a cheap ND filter in front of it will do nothing for you. I recommend LEE or Hoya or B&W. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr