Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Blinkies vs. Histograms?

Blinkies vs. Histograms? 3 years 7 months ago #3846

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
New term for me "blinkies" - I've heard that some photographers never check their histogram and only rely on blinkies? What are blinkies? And how does this work compared to checking the histogram? '
Thanks!!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Blinkies vs. Histograms? 3 years 7 months ago #3852

"blinkies" are just warnings to show you where the photo has lost information in highlights and shadows (i.e. where the histogram is clipping).

On my camera (Nikon d90), when I am previewing an image I click up and highlights that have lost information will blink.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Blinkies vs. Histograms? 3 years 7 months ago #3859

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
I have never heard that term but I knew what Julie was describing.

I find "blinkies" most useful in camera raw or Lightroom where you can toggle them on and off via the histogram. They are most useful when used in conjunction with the histogram as opposed to being some "wonderful" replacement for the histogram.

I simply can't stand people who don't know how to/refuse to read the histogram. It is very important tool and actually stores a lot of important and useful information so it is well worth spending some time learning how to read it if you can't. Check out Greg's video on the histogram if you like:

Conor Casey
Flickr

Blinkies vs. Histograms? 3 years 7 months ago #3863

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
LOL must be the technical term. It refers to a setting that you can turn on that show what portion of a picture that is over exposed. It "blinks" on the portion of the image the is over exposed.

Blinkies vs. Histograms? 3 years 7 months ago #3879

Problem with the highlight warning indicators:

1. They are based on low resolution preview images, not RAW files.
2. Usually are triggered around 1 stop under the actual overexposure point, giving false positives.

Blinkies vs. Histograms? 3 years 7 months ago #3908

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
So is the Histogram is based on RAW file or JPEG preview?

Blinkies vs. Histograms? 3 years 7 months ago #3909

• Richard
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
That's a great question! I have a d7000 and when I preview an image and press down...I think, it will blink the "absolute" pure white portions of the image. Or at least that's what I thought until I read some comments here. Ever since I watched Greg's video on histograms, I have ALWAYS looked at my histogram and my pictures' exposures have become far qualitative in terms of keeping data. Greg has some awesome vids. Check out his histogram/exposure one. It's awesome and is used in many other forums as well.