Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Exposure with Flash

Exposure with Flash 3 years 7 months ago #4038

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
I am always trying to get close on the first time with my flash exposures but cannot. I was wondering if there is away to tell in camera (before you shoot the shot) if the exposure will be close. Does the expsoure meter work the same way with flash as it does without flash?

A little helpful video/tutorial would be great.

Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Exposure with Flash 2 years 5 months ago #6036

In that same topic of "exposure with flash", my gear is a Nikon D5200 and a speedlight Nikon SB-700. Since I don't have a remote commander (like a Pocket Wizard) and my D5200 doesn't have a master mode (like the D7100 I believe), I have to use my flash in SU-4 wireless mode if I want to use it off camera... but I find it very difficult to have a correct exposure.

I have tried it in TTL mode, Manual mode, adjust the flash compensation on my D5200 etc... and finally, I sometimes get a "good" (average would be a better word) exposure...

Is it possible for you to explain the proper way to use (and adjust) a flash in this matter ?

Thank you so much for your help !

Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Alain Robert. Reason: Add a photo
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Exposure with Flash 2 years 5 months ago #6037

Added to the list!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jerry

Exposure with Flash 2 years 4 months ago #6105

• Jose Cruz
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Im having trouble getting my camera to take a picture when i kill all the ambient light,I have the off camera flash on ttl and im using a ml-l3 remote.Im not sure if the settings are set wrong.

Exposure with Flash 2 years 4 months ago #6109

Jose Cruz wrote:
Im having trouble getting my camera to take a picture when i kill all the ambient light,I have the off camera flash on ttl and im using a ml-l3 remote.Im not sure if the settings are set wrong.

Is your shutter speed too high?

Exposure with Flash 2 years 4 months ago #6112

• Jose Cruz
  • Expert Boarder
I'm going to try it again later tonite,will check the shutter speed.Im also going to watch your video again.Thanks Greg

Exposure with Flash 2 years 4 months ago #6114

• Erik Ballew
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
jerry wrote:
I am always trying to get close on the first time with my flash exposures but cannot. I was wondering if there is away to tell in camera (before you shoot the shot) if the exposure will be close. Does the expsoure meter work the same way with flash as it does without flash?

A little helpful video/tutorial would be great.

Thanks

Experience in the situation for me. I have an idea how I'd like my photo to look, before I start I have a pretty good idea what I want the settings to be. I know I like to shoot with shallowish depth of field, and I like to be as close to ISO 100 as I can. (This helps me set the Aperture and ISO)

Then, I think to myself. How much ambient light would I like in my shot. (This helps me set the shutter speed)

Now you just have the flash power settings. Do I want Low Key? High Key? Soft light? Hard light? This helps me set the flash power.

I guess I'm saying I don't rely on a gismo to tell me the settings, I come up with a look in my head, then I set my gear to the settings I need to pull it off, I got those setting with experience.

Exposure with Flash 2 years 4 months ago #6115

• Erik Ballew
  • Expert Boarder
Alain Robert wrote:
In that same topic of "exposure with flash", my gear is a Nikon D5200 and a speedlight Nikon SB-700. Since I don't have a remote commander (like a Pocket Wizard) and my D5200 doesn't have a master mode (like the D7100 I believe), I have to use my flash in SU-4 wireless mode if I want to use it off camera... but I find it very difficult to have a correct exposure.

I have tried it in TTL mode, Manual mode, adjust the flash compensation on my D5200 etc... and finally, I sometimes get a "good" (average would be a better word) exposure...

Is it possible for you to explain the proper way to use (and adjust) a flash in this matter ?

Thank you so much for your help !

So you are firing this flash in Slave mode with your on board flash? If so, make sure that you have your camera's built in pre-flash turned off, or it's going to fire before your shutter is even open. Have you ever though of getting some cheaper radio triggers? They were VERY helpful for me learning about how to use flash. Other than Greg's videos of course.

I started out with a cheap little set like this. Again they are cheap, and probably not very durable, but I've had a set for almost 4 years, and they still work, when I need them.

Exposure with Flash 2 years 4 months ago #6116

• Jose Cruz
  • Expert Boarder
@Eric Ballew,can you go over the sync speed?

Exposure with Flash 2 years 4 months ago #6118

• Erik Ballew
  • Expert Boarder
You need a flash and a trigger capable of Hi Speed Sync in order to break the sync speed. These are a little more expensive but they do it.

Again Pocket Wizards are probably what people are going to suggest. But, for learning, I think it's okay to use a cheaper alternative.

Yongnuo YN-622C

For the record I use this new flash system. Of course it's cheap Chinese stuff again. But I like having the control of my flash on camera, and I LOVE the Li-Ion battery packs.

Neewer TT850 system