Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How to get an acurrate focus on a moving subject?

How to get an acurrate focus on a moving subject? 3 years 3 months ago #4759

I was having a hard time focusing on this little guy jumping and flying off of his perch. These are my two best shots but they are still a little off.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Julie Anne Moore.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How to get an acurrate focus on a moving subject? 3 years 3 months ago #4774

• Tim Shrimpton
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
A continuous auto focus mode (AF-C on my Nikon) should, in theory, track the object and adjust as needed while the object is moving. I've done tests with my son running around with mixed results. If you have any way to anticipate where the subject is going to be moving (say, a baseball player running down the baseline), you can orient yourself so that your plain of focus is parallel with the motion so that there movement won't take them out of that focused area. But with birds as you have pictured, that's pretty impossible to predict.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

How to get an acurrate focus on a moving subject? 3 years 3 months ago #4781

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
well basically if the closer or faster the subject is the faster shutter speed you need. If the subject is moving 45 degrees to the camera you'll need approximately double the shutter speed and parallel is about 3 times the shutter speed. I have a camera app(Photo Tools by hcpl) that has a minimal shutter speed calculator on it. That was my reference for the above numbers, not sure if there are any hard and fast rules to it!
here's a link to an online calculator that should help:

johndudak.com/photographers/sp2.php#spp

How to get an acurrate focus on a moving subject? 3 years 3 months ago #4782

Thanks.

The shutter speeds were 350th/s and 500th/s both at f/4 and ISO 500.