Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
One post per assignment, photos must be taken within 2 weeks of assignment date to be eligible to be featured on the blog and video.

TOPIC: Giving Back Photo Assignment

Giving Back Photo Assignment 2 years 8 months ago #5777

• Gregory Cazillo
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 137
Giving Back Photo Assignment is due by April 18th at 5pm Eastern. Photos must be taken between 3/17/2014 and 4/18/2014 to be eligible for the blog post and video. Feel free to post images to this thread after the assignment is over.

The goal of this assignment is to give away your services to someone in need through a non profit organization. If you have questions or are not sure please ask. Up to 3 images in a picture story are eligible. There are a number of organizations you can help out with, just a few are listed on the blog post cazillo.com/articles/keep-shooting/403-p...ith-photography.html.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES POST PHOTOS WHICH MAY PUT SOMEONE IN HARMS WAY.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Giving Back Photo Assignment 2 years 8 months ago #5780

• The Grease Man
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I was recently asked to photograph an event at a local hair salon. The event planner hosted this event in order to raise money & create hair pieces for children battling cancer. The hair pieces & money raised are being donated to the Dell's Children's Medical Center of Central Texas.

I immediately agreed to help & quickly drew up a game plan on how I was going to make it the best possible for everyone involved.

I setup a photobooth made from DIY parts & a lighting setup that I purchased from the local home improvement store. I stopped in at a fabric store & purchased 2 different colors of fabric for the background. I went with a solid black & a gold crushed penne (gold being the representative color for childhood cancer)

I walked around with my 2nd camera & took candid photos of the participants making the hair pieces & when they finished their creation, we went to the photobooth & took some fun photos with them wearing the pieces & also holding props.

Yes my photos were taken prior to the 3/17/2014 cutoff date, but I felt I should share anyways...I'm not sure I'll be involved in any other charity work from now to 4/18/2014

remaining set - goo.gl/o1DJkc
Last Edit: 2 years 8 months ago by The Grease Man.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Giving Back Photo Assignment 2 years 8 months ago #5792

• The Grease Man
  • Senior Boarder
I donated a photo session raffle a couple of months back...The winner of the raffle was going to use it for a family portrait session but instead asked me to photograph her friend's baby shower this coming Sunday.

Will this count as "giving back"

Note - the original donation was given to a close friend of mine who was raising money to purchase her specially trained alert dog (ended up bringing over $400 in raffle ticket purchases)

Giving Back Photo Assignment 2 years 8 months ago #5802

• Dave Clarke
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Does anybody know of any organisations in England that doestype of work? I've searched on the internet, but can't find much.

Giving Back Photo Assignment 2 years 8 months ago #5805

• Lance
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I got to meet a group of blokes making our society better and helping another bloke in need. Ko wai te ropu? Who is this group? They are MEN Initiative. They are “a forum to empower men to become change agents in their Family/Whanau and communities.” Some are also part of a group called Pay It Forward Community Garden.
The situation was that an older bloke living by him self had to move and had collected a lot of stuff over the years. He may also have become a little disenchanted with the society around him. There was no way he could have sorted out his stuff and moved in time if he had to do it himself. This was a big job. But this group came together with the encouragement of Paul Tierney to help a bloke in need. This is an old concept, coming together to help someone. But it does not seem to happen as much as it should.
I had the chance to go along and see them in action and get a few photos. The enthusiasm of this group of bloke to get in an sort this situation out was outstanding. The bloke they were helping was fully involved all the time in what was done.

These sorts of actions can go a long way to changing our community in a positive manner.
If you want a better society, be involved in creating it, help those in need of help, don’t stand around talking about it.
Hippynz

Giving Back Photo Assignment 2 years 8 months ago #5806

• Lance
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Istart helping SPCA he in Hamilton Mew Zealand because I like dogs and became hooked
Hippynz
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeri Kenney

Giving Back Photo Assignment 2 years 7 months ago #5827

Hi Greg and Cathy,

I recently went along and shot a gig comprising of local amatuer singers and bands with the intent of just shooting a group with a young friend in. I ended up being so impressed with all the singers I shot everyone. I approached the organiser afterwards and showed him my photos and asked if he wanted to give the winners in each catagory a free photoshoot with me as part of thier prize bundle.
So Bethany came first in the 17 year old age group and her parents contacted me and we arranged a shoot together.
Bethany has not done a shoot before and asked if we could shoot something to go on the CD she was going to record. So below is a couple or photos from that shoot. The organiser is going to use the shots to promote the next years concert all over the county so look forward to seeing those everywhere too !
Since this shoot with Bethany I have taken three other paid bookings from people linked with the gig. So im definitely sold on the idea that'the more you do for nothing, the more you'll get for something.

Thanks guys,

Rich

Bethany Miall singing at the Battle of the Bands

The following three images form my 'Giving back' submission taken from our photoshoot.

Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Richard Paice.

Giving Back Photo Assignment 2 years 7 months ago #5830

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
So we can use older photos for the assignment?
I shot this family when the child was baptized, After a paid shoot, I decided to give do a freebie for them, well it happened twice, They always ask how much, 2 times I gave them a price, 2 times I gave them free.
webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

oh ya, that crappy logo, ya, well, i no longer use it..so Greg..settle down...hahaha, I now have a more elegant font
Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by jerry.

Giving Back Photo Assignment 2 years 7 months ago #5842

• Jose Cruz
  • Expert Boarder
Opening day by jocruz116, on Flickr
Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Jose Cruz.

Giving Back Photo Assignment 2 years 7 months ago #5843

• Jose Cruz
  • Expert Boarder
Opening Day isnt just for Major League Baseball,its also trout season in Nj.On April 5 ,lakes ,rivers ,ponds and streams were stocked with 250,000 trout.Whether its a rainbow or brown trout,catching one is always a thrill.At West Hudson Park ,where this photo was taken,anglers from the area came out to catch some of these beautiful fish.Its a time to bond with friends and family.Im not an avid fisherman but i have done it and it was relaxing and fun.When you put the line in the water,anticipation builds not knowing when or if you will catch one.This year was a good turnout and i was glad to be part of it.

Giving Back Photo Assignment 2 years 7 months ago #5864

• The Grease Man
  • Senior Boarder
sweet! #2 aint bad...thanks for choosing 1 of my photos from this assignment