Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!
Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments (04 Feb 2013)
Be sure to check out the new Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments, every two weeks there is a new one!
Assignment #26 - Just Print It!
Here are a few picture I took especially for your assignment, hope you'll enjoy them.
This week you talked about photo montages for DIY and I thought I would share this priject.
For the Fire Department's 50 year anniversary, I created a photo montage of members over the years. The result was a 16 x 20 poster that was printed for the members and friends.
I started with a very large blank picture in Adobe Elements and then added each digital picture as a layer, with cropping and scaling to fit. A lot of rearranging pictures to balance the composition. The biggest challenge was computer memory. After adding a number of pictures, I ran out of memory. My solution was to save the work in process after adding 1 or 2 pictures. Then restart the application and add a few more and save again. It took a while but the results were worth it.
When completed I converted the total montage into one JPG picture that I sent to COSTCO for printing. There printed overnight at a cost of $6 each.
Using a poster was a great way to share a lot of memories from the past. Gives everyone a chance to see if they were included.
Here is a link to the finished poster.
Enjoy the week video.
Recently i did a project for my Diagnostic Imaging Dept .Luckily it coincided with this assignment.This department includes Technologists,Physicians,Nurses,Volunteers,students,and clerical staff,running an imaging department in the local hospital.We do a wide range of medical examinations, and see a wide range of adults and children, in a wide range of medical need. It can be stressful, and sometimes we can forget about ourselves in performing our jobs. I decided we needed something to show appreciation for the members of this large team. The resulting pictures show you what i came up with.
I went around with my 7D and 70-200 2.8, and shot every person in my department. I took them where they worked and as we know each other. I let everyone see each picture and if they didn't like it I did it again.(most liked the first try). I had nobody decline getting their picture as i explained it was just for us and we all know how we all look like anyway. People said they took bad pictures, but i assured them i didn't ( got a lot of smiles with that one),and I would not post anything that they wouldn't like.
The wall hanging is actually a piece of 4 x 8 good on one side piece of plywood.Once i decided on what i was going to do with it I drew the design i wanted and cut it out with a jig saw.Each piece has 5 coats of paint each. The pictures are all 4*6 and edited in light room. I had them printed at a local camera store here so i knew the color would be good.They are hung using a hanger system that can be made to fit a wide variety of sizes, and put on with a staple gun to keep them from falling.
The colors are meant to be bold as we work in a sterile environment and i wanted it to stand out and be seen.
The left side has more room to allow people to add their own if they want.
The design shows that although we do different things, together we make it better.
It fits the way the wall is designed with a wrap around effect with a 45 degree piece in the middle.It is held in place with a lot of command strip Velcro.
It is still a work in progress as more pictures will be needed as staff and students come and go.
No names have been added as this ensures interaction among us if we don't happen to remember a certain persons name.
The pictures are NOT sorted in any order as we all work towards the same goals and without one part, patient care would suffer.
So far I've taken 80 head shots with more to come.
The response has been fantastic, with other departments coming to see it and talk about who's who.
They had little match boxes on all the tables, as party gifts i guess. Right away I knew this design would be the front cover, the back cover was from stickers they had.
I then used Aperture 3 to create the book and sent it directly to Apple to have it published. I was very pleased with the final results, although I wish I had better creativity. to fancy it up better. They have not seen this yet as it will be a surprise when we see them again.
This is a 24 page book, here are a few of the pages.
Please Support Us