Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments (04 Feb 2013)

Be sure to check out the new Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments, every two weeks there is a new one!

cazillo.com/c/forum/keep-shooting-photography-assignments.html

× One post per assignment, photos must be taken within 2 weeks of assignment date to be eligible to be featured on the blog and video.

Assignment #27 - Pet Photography

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #6213 by Donn
Donn replied the topic: Assignment #27 - Pet Photography

Charlie at the park.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Donn. Reason: adding corrected color photos
The following user(s) said Thank You: Francis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #6214 by Benjamin
Benjamin replied the topic: Assignment #27 - Pet Photography
[my submission would be photo #1, but for the whole story I put in the other two pictures as well]

I loved this assignment from the get go! Really enjoyed it. Found my 'victim' soon enough, a co-worker with her dog named Santi. We spent about 45 minutes in a very small park starting around 4 PM. The light was harsher than I thought on forehand. But hey, we were there so no stopping now.

First we got to walk the dog a bit to the park. Get a bit of the energy out of it. Once we arrived at the park, I started shooting right away. Testing my shots and settings. The first pictures are almost always miss, so lets get them done quickly.

The harsh lighting was apparent, so we went for the shades. But not before we let the dog do it's crazy thing for 2 minutes. Running around like it had some fireworks up it's .... (it didn't!!!). I went laying in the grass and got some running shots, but they were not that great. Also some shots with the owner next to the dog, but because of the lightning they look blown out. Not so pretty.

The lighting in the shades was much better, while the background had some brightspots still. I like it that way, blurry and full of color in the background.

There was also a small island with a little hill (5m/15ft high) in the park, it had a staircase on one side. We put the dog and it's owner nearly on the top step of it and I stood on the bottom. Putting the dog in focus and the girl out of focus but still recognisable. I really like this shot.

I took this at 85mm, but that was not calculated. There was not much space for me to zoom in more. I want to frame the dogs head and align it with the owner next to it. Some manoeuvring and zooming later, I got it.

And a final shot was done in front of a big tree. The sunlight coming through the background, if there wasn't any bushes and trees I would bee firing straight into the light. As a prop I asked the owner to bring a scarf of her favourite football/soccer club (ADO Den Haag, The Netherlands). She's quite a fan, so that was easy. We put it on the dog and took some shots. He was cool with it, only when the wind picked it up a bit did he get scared of it.

For this shot I was laying on the grass and zoomed in maximum at 200mm. So to get the grass on the bottom 1/3 of the shot nicely blurred.

For this shoot I used my D3200 with 55-200 lens. Also I made use of my lovely wife as a extra pair of hands, eyes, making noises or running away. All in all it was a lot of fun to do this. I sent the pictures that evening to my colleague and she put them on Facebook and her phone immediately. I see that as a compliment :lol: .

Try to be creative!
Attachments:

More
4 years 6 months ago #6217 by Christine Hanson
Christine Hanson replied the topic: Assignment #27 - Pet Photography
DSC_0087 by moagirl5 , on Flickr

This is our 3 month old rescue kitty Charlie (after Charlie Chaplin). He is a full of energy kind of cat who loves to jump and leap all over the house. It was a treat to catch him in a moment of stillness.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Francis

More
4 years 6 months ago #6244 by Federico F.
Federico F. replied the topic: Assignment #27 - Pet Photography
I should be still in time, right? Here are a few pictures I took after I loaned my brother's cats.

Controluce by Federico Feroldi Foto , on Flickr

Stare by Federico Feroldi Foto , on Flickr

Ribbon by Federico Feroldi Foto , on Flickr

Primo piano by Federico Feroldi Foto , on Flickr

More
4 years 6 months ago #6249 by Luis Balderas Cruz
Luis Balderas Cruz replied the topic: Assignment #27 - Pet Photography
Ready to go out by lfbc , on Flickr

f/1.8 | 1/160 | ISO 400 | 50mm

Pug puppies by lfbc , on Flickr

f/2.8 | 1/200 | ISO 200 | 50mm

Pugs by lfbc , on Flickr

f/2.2 | 1/640 | ISO 200 | 50mm

More
4 years 6 months ago #6251 by Remco van de Sanden
Remco van de Sanden replied the topic: Assignment #27 - Pet Photography
I'll join in to this great show of lovely pictures :)

Here are a couple I shot:

_DSC9091 by Remco van de Sanden , on Flickr

_DSC8852 by Remco van de Sanden , on Flickr

_DSC9077 by Remco van de Sanden , on Flickr

Nikon FX body's and some Nikkor FX glass I believe...

Praktica 35mm analogue just for fun

www.remcovandesanden.nl

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #6256 by Paul Ades
Paul Ades replied the topic: Assignment #27 - Pet Photography
Here's Mork. Not as sharp as I'd have liked--still using the kit lens. Also needed more light; using 2 off camera speedlights aimed at the ceiling, but with the cat on the floor on a somewhat dark carpet I should have aimed one of the flashes at him thru a soft box.
DSC_0679-2 by pjades , on Flickr
Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Paul Ades. Reason: added link to Flickr

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #6257 by Jim St Croix
Jim St Croix replied the topic: Assignment #27 - Pet Photography
Mutt and Jeff.
old friends by Jim St. Croix , on Flickr
How my girls wait for us when we go out without them. Juney ,the Labrador is very ill, and i wanted to get them together.

Canon EOS 7D
EF-S17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
ƒ/2.8
55.0 mm
1/30

sept 25 2014
Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Jim St Croix.

More
4 years 5 months ago #6258 by Massimo Caroelli
Massimo Caroelli replied the topic: Assignment #27 - Pet Photography
heeeew! I hope i'm in time LOL...

Here we are again with my lovely Praia. Will she make me a winner with her beauty? Won't she? we'll see...
Meantime best regards to Greg, Catherine & all you friends...

M.C.

Attachments: