Hey need a great way to get your name out? Try some event photography. Last weekend I photographed the French Creek Iron Tour with over 1500 riders in attendance. I shot some video with my thoughts and techniques while I was working. I hope you enjoy it...stick around for the wrap up at the end.
- 2 Photographers, one at Start/Finish and one roving
- 4664 Photographs taken, all RAW
- 69.2GB in NEF/CR2 format
- 34GB after conversion to DNG - I don't usually convert to DNG but large events like this I do just to save hard drive space.
- Shot Aperture Priority with Exposure Compensation when needed
- 316 Photos removed because of focus, duplicate or bad composition - 7.4% thats good! For events I try and get this number down to 5% but I don't have any complaints when we are under 10%
EDIT 6/16/2011 14:35
I use an open source photo gallery with ecommerce built in, then paypal for payments. I have generic postcards with a great photo on them that direct clients to my website to purchase. The cards have a cute photo of a child and a coupon for a family portrait on them to help promote my other services. The main sales come from emails and social media to the riders, thats why I only accept gigs which I am the sole photographer. If there are many photographers at the same event it won't be worth my time.